The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not too long ago i placed a thread on whichen pump from a 180 to a 215 well after forever i got some info. the truck is gear 3.55 the only thang i have done to it is moved the fuel plate forward and the smoke b4 pre-boost forward a little. umm the sled pull class theres a under 400hp class, 8000lb hot street, 8000lb super street, 8400 hot street then modified i was gonna pull in the last one but i really got screwed over bc i got bold tires and didnt have anyweights and they said we got some weights and a guy said i could borrow his tires well the day came the shop was locked and everythang but i do wanna turn it into a sled truck and still make it a daily driver with stock headgasket if thats possible but here and there ill probably haul a dump trailor probably the total weight would be 10ton but i just wont somethang different tho

but wouldnt it be better to put a 4 gsk in a 180 then a 215 pump

·
1,465 Posts
From what I have read....keep the 180 pump and put the 4K kit in it. I love mine with the 4K kit. Most guys are building 180 and 160 pumps anyway. Some of the early 215 pumps are good but the later ones have the retard notches on the plungers and pull fuel out. Others will post and be more informed than I and I am curious to learn more as well.

·
Diesel Outlaw
589 Posts
as far as pulling with a stock head gasket you should be fine for now with just what you have maybe retorque the stock head bolts just for reassurance.

·
Hot Rod Farm Boy
1,226 Posts
Depends on the rules for what turbo you can use in each class. You could run a stock head gasket with over-torque head bolts and a 62mm turbo and still be able to tow pretty well, but that may put you under what another guy is running. If it's like a 2.6 class, that's a 66mm which you could run on a street but to get its full potential you need studs and O-rings and it would be a dirty bugger to try to tow with. Twins would allow you to tow well but again studs and fire rings and it may put you in a higher class than what you want to run in.

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think im gonna keep the stock turbo for a while money issues is gettin stretched but so far i got a 4gsk and workin on the head studs ill probably get the 20,000psi made by ARP and since im gonna get the studs im gonna get it fire ringed

·
just ish it
50 Posts
i think im gonna keep the stock turbo for a while money issues is gettin stretched but so far i got a 4gsk and workin on the head studs ill probably get the 20,000psi made by ARP and since im gonna get the studs im gonna get it fire ringed
get a 100 plate or grind yours to a 100 plate, that will really wake up the truck with that 4k gsk as long as you have the 60lb valve springs

Just make sure you have gauges and your tranny/clutch can handle it

oh, and I ran 50+ psi of boost on stock retorqued head bolts, If I were you I wouldnt worry about the head work untill you get a bigger turbo and injectors, but if you do it now you wont have to worry about it later so its a horse a piece. Im running a 62/71/14 and 5x.012 injectors right now on stock gasket and studs

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats wow and could you explain the 62/72/14 and 5x.012 injectors i got lost when you told me that

·
Hot Rod Farm Boy
1,226 Posts
62/71/14: Turbo charger that measures 62 mm compressor inducer, 71 mm turbine exducer, with a 14 cm^2 exhaust housing. Example: Super Phat Shaft 62.

5x.012 injector: An injector with 5 holes that are .012" in diameter each.

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ol ok i gotcha now!

·
1,465 Posts
Thanks for fixing me up.

·
Hot Rod Farm Boy
1,226 Posts
Huh, I always thought the 887 was alright but the 913 had the retard notches. At any rate, are there any higher hp pumps we might find at say a scrap yard without the notches? I.E. a 370 hp marine pump if there is such a thing?

·
Of Course
527 Posts
Some 8.3L P7100's have 13mm plunger/barrels, good luck finding one at a scrap yard. The 887 and 913 are one in the same, superceding part number.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts