The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just want to get your thoughts about putting a plow on my truck.

I have a 2006 2500HD duramax ext. cab with a short bed. I would like to put a 8.6 ft western MVP plow on my truck.

What kind of upgrades should i put on the truck to handle the plow?

See if anyone else has done this and what do they think?

Thanks for your help

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
From what i have heard/seen, IFS is the worse suspension for holding the weight of plows...

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
From what i have heard/seen, IFS is the worse suspension for holding the weight of plows...
Hence the reason i suggested the upgrades, its entirely possible to plow with an IFS, has been done and will continue to be done:rock

·
182 Posts
i would look into Cognito steering parts
one of their tie-rod kits, the pitman/idler kit and the upper control arm kit..
just preventative measures to keep things together
http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/GM_8-Lug.html
X2 just some basic beef up parts needed. A more budget friendly route IMO would be tie rod sleeves. The braces would be great insurance but may not be needed. I would pass on the upper control arms if your planning to keep it at about stock height. The control arms are to mainly correct the upper ball joint angles on trucks with leveling kits. Also depending on the weight of the plow, if your stock torsion bar keys can't adjust the height enough to set the truck back to stock height with the plow on then green keys may be needed.

Reactions: BriteWhiteRam

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Thanks Chris, i know that i only want sleeves, but i really dont know much about suspensions, thanks for straightening me out :thumbsup

·
Cummins Tower
83 Posts
tie rod end stiffners and timbren front bump stops

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
Hence the reason i suggested the upgrades, its entirely possible to plow with an IFS, has been done and will continue to be done:rock
well the only place ive seen and really noticed plows was in michigan, and well, we all know how ghetto faboulus some of those folks are when it comes to doing things right...:fan

·
3,754 Posts
a few turns of the torsion bar, sleeves and some counter weight and you will be fine.

·