The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i got a question about putting my truck on a dyno. We have one at school and my teacher says that i can not put my f-250 6.0 with an automatic on it because i cant keep it in the 1:1 ratio. I know it has to be possible and thinking my teacher is just blowing smoke up my you know what. My question is how do you go about doing it?

·
Countryboy Mechanic
8 Posts
It can be done. But it will not be accurate. Just like my 2002 7.3L today. Which I just ran in second gear. I did this by putting the gear shifter in second. It started out in 1st. But then shift, then I brought the rpms up to 2,000 rpms. Then ran wide open throttle, which gave a reading but it was low compared to other trucks that have the same mods I have. Doing this will only let the truck shift to second and stay there for the run.

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
bigcountrysg said:
It can be done. But it will not be accurate. Just like my 2002 7.3L today. Which I just ran in second gear. I did this by putting the gear shifter in second. It started out in 1st. But then shift, then I brought the rpms up to 2,000 rpms. Then ran wide open throttle, which gave a reading but it was low compared to other trucks that have the same mods I have. Doing this will only let the truck shift to second and stay there for the run.
why would u do that when u can leave the truck in OD ad mash the throttle at any speed over 2100rpms and it wont downshift, same thing in 3rd if u use the OD cancel button, bring it up to 2100rpms and floor it it will stay in third. both was keeps the converter lockd up to

·
Countryboy Mechanic
8 Posts
Power Stroke said:
why would u do that when u can leave the truck in OD ad mash the throttle at any speed over 2100rpms and it wont downshift, same thing in 3rd if u use the OD cancel button, bring it up to 2100rpms and floor it it will stay in third. both was keeps the converter lockd up to

It was not me, the dyno operator didn't want me driving on the dyno. He wanted to lock it into a gear from dead stop. Which unless you have a computer for diagnostics to do so for testing. I know no other way that was going to please him.

·
DPM Mobile Dyno
508 Posts
Auto's are fine on the dyno. If you are running on a DynoJet 248 like mine, you want to run it in top gear. The only times I don't use top gear are 6th in a Duramax (use 5th) and sometimes if tires are huge. If you are loading, then you want 1 to 1.

A dyno jet measures HP so gearing doesn't matter. You pick the top gear for the most load.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dave's right, you don't need a special tune to put an automatic on the dyno. Not one like his anyway, because the converter will lock itself after you get past approximately 70mph. After that you can punch it and you got no worries. I don't know squat about load-dynos so I can't help you there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts