The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is considered a normal running temp for the pyro when it is mounted pre-turbo? I am wondering about a no load temp at hiway speeds. Mine seems to be around 800 to 900 degrees....

·
JakeBrakeIH
88 Posts
chevy said:
What is considered a normal running temp for the pyro when it is mounted pre-turbo? I am wondering about a no load temp at hiway speeds. Mine seems to be around 800 to 900 degrees....
thats where you want it to be...anymore and your gonna ask for trouble...also make sure the EGTs lower before shuttin down...:Thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
At 60-65 MPH I'm at abouy 600*F roughly. (19-20 MPG)

Remember it takes fuel to make heat. So the higher the pyro temps at cruising speeds the more fuel your using.

The only time I see 800-900*F is climbing grades or running 75 MPH on the highway.

On larger grades I'm 900-1000*F at 7-8% grades...

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I put the camper back there it is running pretty warm. Grades, not mountains, will put me at the 1150 and 1200 mark without getting into it too much. That is what I am worried about. I keep the juice set on 2, any higher and it starts warming up real quick. Starting to think something is not right somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
What kind of fuel mods do you have?

But it going to be time for a turbo...:damnit

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the juice with attitude and a K&N filter, the rest is stock. The turbo will pull about 26 lbs, maybe 28ish. I am going to open up the exhaust and see what happens. My muffler is rattling from inside so it needs to move on to it's next life as a rusting corpes in the junk pile.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would say that the exaust is most of your problem. Before you put a box on or any kind of fuel adder (ex, programmer, injectors ect. ect.) You should always open up the exaust and intake. removing the muffler will help some but you might want to look into a 4" or bigger turbo back system. That will let her breath alittle easier and bring those egts down quite abit.

·
3,514 Posts
Definitely let it breath. Put a bigger exhaust on there, and get yourself a better intake too. I cruise at about 600* pre turbo, thats running about 60mph, up around 75mph I'm closer to the 800 mark. I tend to run about 75* warmer with the box turned up all the way.

I used to run a DIY K&N filter and I could run well past 1600 degrees at WOT. With the AFE on there, I can't break 1400 pulling a decent grade at 100mph. I am more than impressed with the AFE kit. This is with an Edge drag comp and Rv injectors on a stock charger as well. I'm hitting mid 40's for boost.

Oh, and that anything above 1500 will melt things in a hurry should be lowered to 1200-1250.
Sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts