The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone asked me the other day if they had to get a pyro and a EGT and i said naw i dont think so but just keep your EGT under 1200 and after a pull let it cool down but any suggestions

·
1,465 Posts
A pyrometer is a gauge that reads EGT's or exhaust gas temps......

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ol ok i wasnt sure but thanks for the info we got a 77 roadrunner with a 3speed trans it use to have a 318 in it but took it out and put a 340 in it

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Unless you're running a turbo there isn't much need for monitoring EGTs in that setup.

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but why wouldnt you go ahead and do that tho

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
In a gasser? You'd be better off with a W/B Air/Fuel meter. If you are talking about one of your Cummins, then yes you should put in a Pyrometer.

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ol ok

its like that sayin you learn somethang everyday

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Same here. I hope I can keep learning. How aggressive is the 340? My Uncle is a MOPAR guy and he loves the 340.

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my thoughts and opinions is its one of the best and toughest engines back in the day like if you take it to a drag strip stock it aint that fast but like round the town or some place its plenty enough power but i got a 440-6pack mag. and its bascally a fully build engine deep sump oil pan,magnetic connectin rods been stroked,bored 60 over i think over or more bigger cam,heavier ex. and intake spring,wanted to go with roller lifters but didnt have enough money but new ex. and intake valves 3-2barrel carbs. its a little fast!! it gets like 1 1/2 to 2 miles to a gallon its kinda funny i joke with people and i said it gets 5 tanks to a mile and its funny tho

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
The big 440 with work is a monster. I threw a rod in a BBC and have never had a big block gasser again. "How fast you goin? About half a tank!"

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when i got it back a few years ago we was takin it up the road and we was goin 90mph and it wasnt half way down yet but that was b4 i rebuild the engine at that time it had a worn cam in it so i went with a hair bigger cam and got it runnin and it sound mean with a good deep lope idling but i didnt fine tune the carbs so it was runnin lean bad and i was trien to put it in the garage and got it in gear and tapped the gas and it threw me in the back of the seat and almost hit a wood pile but got it in the garage now im trien to fix the oil pan it leaks alittle bit but after i get it back together i wanna take it to a dyno and drag strip after the motor gets a good broke in

1 - 11 of 11 Posts