The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David,
I mentioned in another thread about a gasser dude dynoing a Diesel and wether or not to trust him. Can you explain the diffrences for us Un-educated folks?

·
DPM Mobile Dyno
508 Posts
Well, I don't know how I missed this but...

The process for running a diesel or gas in a dyno is the same (on a dyno jet anyway). They may not have the optical sensor for RPM pickup which means you will not have torque numbers.

It may take him a few tries to get a run without a downshift on the 5 spd auto's, but if he starts the run at 70 mph that is a good place to start.

When you get to the more heavily modded trucks can be more tricky.

If the guy has never done a diesel before and it is a stout one, it will usually give him something to talk about for the next 6 months... :roflmao:

·
Registered
838 Posts
DavidTD said:
Well, I don't know how I missed this but...

The process for running a diesel or gas in a dyno is the same (on a dyno jet anyway). They may not have the optical sensor for RPM pickup which means you will not have torque numbers.

It may take him a few tries to get a run without a downshift on the 5 spd auto's, but if he starts the run at 70 mph that is a good place to start.

When you get to the more heavily modded trucks can be more tricky.

If the guy has never done a diesel before and it is a stout one, it will usually give him something to talk about for the next 6 months... :roflmao:

My truck Trying to come OFF the Rollers, and the exhaust venting tube .. I split that in half, took 4 huge fans and about 1 hour to slear the smoke!

Here are some pics!

The camera is NOT defective... To much Smoke to CHOKE on! :Thumbup:

-X

·
2,655 Posts
I'd say 5th on a Dyno-Jet and 4th or 5th on a Superflow or something similar. .....Drums weigh "x" and you have torque. Moving from 70 to 100MPH (30MPH) is probably more accurate than trying a 4th gear 50 to 75MPH.

David will explain much better than I.

·
3,630 Posts
I'm not comfortable with the manual converter lock-up...yet.
I think you get away with it better than I would because of your upgraded converter...I'm just not sure how much a stock one can take without a little ballooning.......worries me.

How much difference is there though...between your manual lock up and the lock up provided by the SCT tranny program ?

·
Registered
838 Posts
UNBROKEN said:
I'm not comfortable with the manual converter lock-up...yet.
I think you get away with it better than I would because of your upgraded converter...I'm just not sure how much a stock one can take without a little ballooning.......worries me.

How much difference is there though...between your manual lock up and the lock up provided by the SCT tranny program ?

A WHOLE LOT!, the SCT will lock up the converter at around 40mph or by Temp, not really sure what method they are using. I like to engauage it when I like, it it LOCKS! Bogs the motor down for a sec, of how hard it clamps down.

-X

1 - 9 of 9 Posts