The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinkin about getting the ppe whats is the highest level i could set it on before the trans is done ? any one seen how far you can go before limp MODE :evil:

·
4 Posts
I've got the hot +2 and I run mine on level 4 with no problem. Put it up to 5 and she went into limp mode. Man I wish I could afford a built tranny. Stupid economy.:thumbdown

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have always heard 3, but I never ran PPE on my truck. 80hp +/- is about all you will want to give the stock trans. Anymore than that and they backtalk (limp mode).

·
Crazy Cooter!
169 Posts
Well i have been running min on 4 {225} for about 18,000miles, hard. I think the tranny might be startin to slip, but never went into limp mode!

·
Socal Diesel Trucks
499 Posts
6 spd can take more HP than 5 spd . It already has some valve body mods to hold more line pressure I think .

Ive seen the newer 6 spds take some serious abuse over the 5 spds . They still give up also . There are many 6 spds that never limped once and go in for a trans job and you find burnt clutches without limp . I think it takes alot more to limp a 6 spd .

It's just always safe to go with 2-3 on 5 spd . Really depends on who your talking to . Some guys want to take it right to the edge with tuning . Some guys want ultimate safe level . So I always just recommend 2-3 . Friend has run 4 on stock LB7 for a long time with no limp and still going with stock trans . Had another friend with LLY that would limp on 3 and we kept it on 2 till he could save for trans . It's hit or miss and really depends on how you drive it and how many miles are on it already . Another friend just launched his LB7 on ppe level 5 . Was all good till he took it to Glamis Dunes on level 5 . Lasted 2 trips up Oldsmobile hill and nothing but reverse . He didnt let it cool down beore going up the hill again . Was on 5 for over a year prior with no limp .

Best things to remember for longer trans life is :

No back to back burm-outs .

If you see high trans temp from abusing , let it cool down before more .

Ease off it on 4-5 shifts .

Sitting stopped power braking it gets the converter really hot .

Change spin on regularly .

If it limps , turn it down 1 level and rethink how your driving it .

Drivers right foot is controlling trans damage ultimately .

Johnny

·
990 Posts
I have heard level 3 but I am in no way a ppe expert
level 3 is what i've seen too :thumbsup its too bad too cause man that ppe is a bad azz tuner!:D

·
188 Posts
I was running my edge on level 4 and had no problems for over 3 years. I got my PPE and have it on level 3 but the edge would kill it for power. I am going to try level 4.

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Im pretty savy on the PPE . What year truck ? 5 spd or 6

Johnny
so savy you stood in their parking lot for an hour after they closed tonight, while wearing a PPE jacket, all just to have a mini truck night :haha

in other news, if i had a dmax (which would or will probably be never) id def run a PPE programmer-

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
It probably would limp the transmission. We ran a PPE tuner with a stock transmission about 3 years ago, and it limped it almost everyday, so it probably would, but I don't know about the new tuners.

·
Socal Diesel Trucks
499 Posts
so savy you stood in their parking lot for an hour after they closed tonight, while wearing a PPE jacket, all just to have a mini truck night :haha

in other news, if i had a dmax (which would or will probably be never) id def run a PPE programmer-

I guess standing in thier parking lot I might have overheard a few things about thier tuners . Really its the Jacket . It has all the codes and do's and dont's written on the inside of it . :D

By the way , your truck sounds like a big fart going down the freeway . :haha

Thanks for not putting the damn HID's in my rear view also .

Were you trying to take me on the on-ramp or what ...... :fan

Im only on tune 3 .... you scared me . I thought you were coming by . You knew I was going to shut the door on you Eh !

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
wtf ever. that slow butt yeller older GM in front of you, and the fact the carpool lane onramp was on the RIGHT side of that onramp threw me off. ida taken you if it was just me and you! :haha :haha

yeah and my HIDs. DGAF what others think, my foggers will do if im behind a friend, rather than blinding them :) :thumbsup

·
Socal Diesel Trucks
499 Posts
wtf ever. that slow butt yeller older GM in front of you, and the fact the carpool lane onramp was on the RIGHT side of that onramp threw me off. ida taken you if it was just me and you! :haha :haha

yeah and my HIDs. DGAF what others think, my foggers will do if im behind a friend, rather than blinding them :) :thumbsup
Your just lucky I was on my tow tune or you would have been hazed with no where to hide . :haha

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
whatever johnny, if my ish was running to par (btw the trans is great, hope it doesnt f'up again before i have money to do my motor rebuild), im sure ill/id have smoked you good :D

we'll see soon enough. PPE is writing a custom 12v tune for me. :haha :haha (had to keep post on subject)

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
Off topic!!! :poke:roflol:

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Ive already waxed that 12V like it was standing still . 30 mph roll and an instant 3 truck jump or me .

But I will let you have your dreams ....... Kodiak < 12V . :eek:wned
um, the < or > facing whatever, means greater than, like 6 > 8, or in the above case, kodiak < 12v.

good to know you paid attention in math class johnny :bang:

Ain't that the truth :roflol:
and drew, you are still young, you should have this knowledge fresh in your brain. i thought you were a smart kid but i have suddenly bumped you down a notch in my book :haha

oh yeah, so sorry to get off topic again. i paid attention in kindergarten math symbols. :haha:haha :eek:wned

1 - 20 of 25 Posts