The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy myself some gauges for my birthday and I think I have my mind made up. I want to go digital, I think? I've been looking at the Quadzilla but have a few questions.

Will the Quadzilla work with a DP Tuner?
Can the Quadzilla control a DP Tuner?
How many parameters will it control out of the box?

I don't want to mount it on the A-Pillar and I like the look of the Edge overhead console mount.

Has anyone mounted the Quadzilla in the Edge overhead console mount?
Where did you mount the Quadzilla? (Pillar mount exlcuded)

Thanks!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't have a Commander myself, however it will control most flip chips. I don't know if it's compatible with DP-Tuners new F5 chip but I believe it is. I would call Jody and quiz him on using the Commander with his chip, he is great to work with and VERY helpful.

·
I be Architect'n
351 Posts
The Quad. is not compatible w/ DP-Tuner. When the Quad changes settings it just grounds out the contact for that specific setting, the F-5 control for DP does more sophisticated things to change power settings, atleast that is what I was told by Jody w/ I called him about the same thing.

·
1,726 Posts
Out of the box the Commander will read EGT, Trans Temp, Oil Temp and Boost. If you buy the Fuel pressure kit you will then be able to see Fuel pressure and Injection Pressure (ICP). You will not be able to control the DP chip right now with it but that may change in the future.

I have the commander on my tuck and added the fuel pressure kit. I also am able to use it to control my chip from Tony because he uses VanAaken chips.

The only big dislike I have with the Commander is that the boost will only read to the max of the MAP sensor. On my truck that was 21 psi. yours will be similar but could be as high as 25-27 depending on you sensor.

Here is a pic of how I mounted it. I used double sided tape on the clip that they provide so that it is easily removable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6_Myles said:
The Quad. is not compatible w/ DP-Tuner. When the Quad changes settings it just grounds out the contact for that specific setting, the F-5 control for DP does more sophisticated things to change power settings, atleast that is what I was told by Jody w/ I called him about the same thing.
6_Myles,

I saw your sig shows that you use a Quadzilla Commander for gauges in conjunction with a DP-Tuner. That is what I would like to do. How do you like that set up? Where did you mount your Quadzilla?

Above you said that the Quad is not compatible with a DP. Did you mean a chip from Quadzilla? I just want to use the Quadzilla for gauges. How much boost will your Quadzilla show you? RaceHauler said it will only show boost up to 25-27psi.

Thanks

·
I be Architect'n
351 Posts
My quad. is located in the corner of the dash and window, kind of where your inspection sticker goes if your state requires it. My sticker actually hides it and it is a very visible spot. My DP tuner controller is located the the right of the steering column, next to a little vent looking thing on the lower dash.

The DP chip that you insert into your PCM can only be controlled by DP's F5 controller. So the Quad. can only be use for gauges. My boost only goes to 20psi, but I have yet to determine if I have a boost leak as I never get an over-boost code even on the highest setting. Plus my dyno number were a little low for what I have done. But RaceHauler is correct, it cannot see more than the MAP sensor sees, but Quad. is supposedly coming out w/ a mechanical adapter to remedy this.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The older DP chips with the 4/6 position rotary knobs can be controlled with the Commander. The new F5 is not currently compatable but will be in the near future.

·
140 Posts
6_Myles said:
That is not true at all. I am not sure where he came up with that?

I tried contacting him to talk to him about some stuff and he has no intrest in talking to us so, he has no idea what we are doing.

I can and do control the 6 position chip. I have not messed with an F5 nor do I have one right now as I have looked at them and I doubt we would be able to do anything other than possibly control 6 of the positions.

·
140 Posts
racehauler said:
Out of the box the Commander will read EGT, Trans Temp, Oil Temp and Boost. If you buy the Fuel pressure kit you will then be able to see Fuel pressure and Injection Pressure (ICP). You will not be able to control the DP chip right now with it but that may change in the future.

I have the commander on my tuck and added the fuel pressure kit. I also am able to use it to control my chip from Tony because he uses VanAaken chips.

The only big dislike I have with the Commander is that the boost will only read to the max of the MAP sensor. On my truck that was 21 psi. yours will be similar but could be as high as 25-27 depending on you sensor.

Here is a pic of how I mounted it. I used double sided tape on the clip that they provide so that it is easily removable.

We have the analog piece done. We are just waiting to finish and update so that the Commander supports it. The update is only taking so long because we are adding the 6.4L and the 6.7L into the menu system as well.

As soon as we have an update or I know we are going to get the update out in a day or so I will pm you and get your info so I can send you one to test for us.

Easy to install and works great up to 102psi!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easy to install and works great up to 102psi!!
Are you saying the Commander will read boost higher than 20psi from the MAP Sensor with a software update?

I emailed Jody and he told me that the Quadzilla cannot control the Dp-Tuner, but you can use the Quadzilla for gauges and the tuner together, but you will need the multi position switch.

·
1,726 Posts
ebbnflow said:
Are you saying the Commander will read boost higher than 20psi from the MAP Sensor with a software update?

I emailed Jody and he told me that the Quadzilla cannot control the Dp-Tuner, but you can use the Quadzilla for gauges and the tuner together, but you will need the multi position switch.
No, they will have a sender that will need to be installed for boost reference.

You are right on the DP chip controlls. Quad is saying that they may come out with an adaptor in the future but for now you will need a seprate switch for the DP F5.

·
140 Posts
ebbnflow said:

I am telling you right now that we are controlling the 6 position DP tuner chips. I have them running on trucks right now.

I also have a couple more going out to testers today.

The F5 is a different animal and like I stated above I will not likely have anything to control all 15 or 16 positions but, I will likely have something that does 6 of them.

The F5 is nothing special in how they are control it. What is goofy is that they use 15 seperate wires to change the levels. It works but, for me it does not make sense.

Once the adapters for the 6 position chips are out I think you will find that the 6 position chips become a LOT more popular due to the fact that you can have your tuner of choice burn the chip and then still have all of the de-fueling and warm up features.

·
I be Architect'n
351 Posts
I've only got 5 tunes on my F5 chipset, how would the Quad control it?
Any ETA for the mechanical boost adapter?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll probably be getting 5 tunes on my DP Tuner as well. I just order a Quadzilla Commander last night with the Fuel pressure add on. It should be here soon. If I can read boost over 20psi and control my DP-Tuner with it, I will be a very happy camper. Let me know when this will be available QuadBoenker.

Thanks

·
140 Posts
Are you talking 5 tunes plus and off position? If so that can be done reasonably soon.

I am just now getting the original TS 6 position or that style chip out.

The analog boost sensors are done, we are just working in the software to finish it. It will be sometime next week and we will send some out to test and make sure everyone is happy with them and then they will be available. We have tested them here and have a alpha software but, we need to work it into the production version so the menus are correct. It is easy to do we are just swamped with all the stuff going on plus 3 new engines!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is great to hear about the boost. How much will that addition cost? I'll definitely be getting one.

Are you talking 5 tunes plus and off position? If so that can be done reasonably soon.
I'll be getting a DP-Tuner F5 with No Start, Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, and 120hp race. Is no start the same thing as off?

·
140 Posts
No start is a "Setting" to me not an off. Stock is "off" to me.

If you want it to work with the Commander it will have to be like this:

Stock (Off)
60hp
80Hp
120hp
No Start

Because of the de-fueling you will need the no start as the highes level. So on your Commander it will have to be L5.

Same thing goes for high idle or anything else. These optional type settings need to be above the highes power level in order for de-fueling to work.

We actually had it where the end user could sort of set the Commander up originally but, there are just too many different options available and it was a mess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Quadboenker. I'll set up my DP as you suggest. It will be a few months before I get it though. I've got to save up and I just spent almost $400 on your Quadzilla Commander.

When do expect to start selling the Boost add-on? How much will it cost?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts