The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be flushing my coolant system soon and was wondering what you guys were using for antifreeze? What would you recommend? Is there any coolants out there that could potentially help in a 53 block?
Thanks!

LJ

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Evans Waterless Coolant, I think could help a 53 block. I'm sure someone will disagree or agree with me on that.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input fellas! What about CAT ELC?

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Phily 911 said:
Do you have 53 block mopar man ?
As far as I know 2002 didn't have 53 blocks... I've never found the 53 on my block yet... :sofa

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
As far as I know 2002 didn't have 53 blocks... I've never found the 53 on my block yet... :sofa

That's what I thought, that's why I asked. I thought it was a extremely rare find in a 2001

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was hoping that my truck didn't have a 53 block but I didn't know about them until I had already bought it. It is right there on the front driver side of the block though. I guess its because it has a 5/00 build date.:damnit

·
3,514 Posts
They were pretty much done with 53 blocks by 01, I've never heard of a 02 with one.

I run CAT ELC and I'm quite happy with it.
Sean

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Sean!

·
3,514 Posts
To get the full life out of it, you need to run the extender in it when you hit the 3 year or 150,000mile mark. Essentially you put it in half way through its total life cycle.
Sean

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I'm not a big believer of extenders or coolant conditioners.

The fact still remains that debris and other particles will still build up in the coolant that these conditioners will not deal with.

For the small cost of flushing and filling the system it not that bad if done every 36K miles or every 3 years. This is why my radiaitor still looks factroy new and the block hasn't even rusted yet...

Remember there is several things going on with coolant... Acidic/Basic Balance, water pump lubricants, anti-freeze, anti-boil, etc... I tend to rather change it like engine oil instead dumping a conditioner in on top of worn out coolant...

·
3,514 Posts
I always used to flush my coolant every 35-40k, then I started talking with some CAT mechanics and guys that have been diesel mechanics for nearly 30years, and they have all been saying that they run ELC in their trucks and in the trucks and equipment they work on, and running it for up to 6,000hours is heavy equipment, they haven't seen any build up or problems with it.
Sean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts