The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few questions for someone that knows more than i do. I have been running ID xtreme street tune for most of my trucks life. about 25k. I work the truck pulling a 33ft camper a few times a year. My jeep trailer almost every weekend, and a 9ton tilt deck with a track loader a few times a week.

I am wondering what the difference is in the higher power tunes. I still get a little puking every once and a while with the xtreme street tune. I have only used my extreme race file a few times. Beating on it about all you could, it would not puke a drop. There is a good jump in power, and the truck is faster with the xtreme race. Is it possible the xtreme race tune is easier on the motor

Is there anything I would be hurting running the race file every day and towing other than the obvious, tranny, head gaskets. I have always thought if the intercooler lines stay on and the egt are below 1300-1400 I am ok.

The truck has a egr block off, stock intake, 3.5 downpipe, and right now 5" off the downpipe with a dump right before the rear tire. WOT gets me about 1200 unloaded with the x street tune.

From the little bit i have used it, it seems the x race tune in general runs better, smoother, and with more power and no puking compared to the x street tune. So the question all this brings is, is there any reason not to do what I have been doing with the x street, with the x race?

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
No "tuner" other than SCT has the knowledge to keep the driveline living, although there are ones that produce more power, the reliability is NOT there with them.

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the sct is the tuner to have. My question is about 2 tunes for my sct. The difference between the x-race and the x-street from sct. I am trying to decide what tune to run. The one i have for the last 25k or the race tune that seems all around better,but makes more power. What would be easier on the motor.

·
571 Posts
From what i've read in the past the only differance is that the race has either more boost or more fuel. (can't remember which) I think the biggest factor in this case will be your right foot. ID doesn't recommend towing with their extreme tune, to my knowledge and towing a 33' trailer seems excessive with either of those tunes, but I suppose as long as you're keeping a very close eye on EGT and tranny temps...what the heck. 1400deg is very high. Most recomendations that i've seen say don't go over 1250 to 1300 for more than a few seconds. (pass or short hill)
Personnally I don't let mine get above 1000deg sustained on a long climb or 1250-1300 on a pass. I also reprogram to my tow tune when towing my 33' toy hauler, partly for egt concerns and also because I like the turbo brake feature when i'm towing that much weight.

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it depends on my right foot. The truck sees normal loads of 15-18k weekly. It has survived with the x-street tune. It just the difference of being stock and full throttle up a hill or 2/3 throttle to hold the same speed on the same hill tuned.

I guess what I am trying to say is. Is it the same strain on the motor to run wot on a tow tune and 2/3 throttle on a race tune?

I am not saying I am never WOT towing, Just not very offen.

I have read a lot about cylinder pressure and injector timing and how it applys to strain on the motor.

I have always looked at my x-street tune as a tow tune with extra throttle if needed.

·
571 Posts
I would think if you aren't having a problem with egt's then you should be ok. But that seems like A LOT of weight on an extreme tune to not have some kind of high temps.
I tow my 6500lb boat with ID's street tune and I have to be care on a pretty steep hill climb right out of the marina or my egt's will climb too high.

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
exhaust is striaght piped 5" stacks and right now 5" off the downpipe and a
90* dump infront of the rear tire. Exhaust temps have not been a problem for a long time. wot with the x-treme street is about 1150-1200.

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
exhaust is striaght piped 5" stacks and right now 5" off the downpipe and a
90* dump infront of the rear tire. Exhaust temps have not been a problem for a long time. wot with the x-treme street is about 1150-1200. I don't even watch the gauge with 6,000 on the truck

·
Diesel Pro
2,652 Posts
dang i wonder why we can hit 1500 degrees then? this was before the 4" turbo back and all but shesh! LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
yeahh i seem to hit 1300 temps easily if i want too, or more when wot from dead stop.

there is another question we never see... water temp!!!! it can be higher and has (from what i can understand) no relation or minimal relation to egt's and if you think that fords gauge is well usefull... just take a look at the tranny temp... none of fords gauges moves untill its too late. i am going to put a water temp gauge on mine, seems it may help to see whats going on in other areas when running a high setting while towing and such...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts