The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the truck back after having Tstats changed, leaky radiator hoses replaced, fuel system flush, coolant flush and tranny flush and computer update.

In the last week (or so) I have noticed when I back up something is grabbing like a loose brake caliper. It only does it in reverse and even when you put it back in drive and try to make it happen in forward, it doesn't. Replaced the front brakes and checked the back, everything looks good. Truck just turned 150,000 miles. Also noticed when I turn wheel and back up it feels like something is binding up on one side.

I tried locking hubs and engaging in 4wd for a mile or so (straight), then disengaged everything and backed up 200-300 yards to make sure everything unlocked. Its not auto-locking hubs.

Here's my thoughts, but I wanted some opinions from others before I go on a wild goose chase.

- One hub not disengaging so its binding up- How hard are front locking hubs to service?

- Ball joints bad- I wouldn't think so since I don't off-road much and usually stay on paved roads. truck only has 150,000 miles. But stranger thinks have happened I guess

- Tie rod ends? Don't have the slop in steering associated with that or is the power steering pump that smart that it compensates for the slop?

Its a 2008 F350 4x4

Thanks in advance

Chris

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
To really check if a hub is locked, see if you can rotate the stub axles / u-joint at each wheel.

Can't tell where you are from, and with an '08 it would be kind of early, but the DIH parking brake can do this if the shoe hold down pins have pulled from the backing plate.

·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To really check if a hub is locked, see if you can rotate the stub axles / u-joint at each wheel.

Can't tell where you are from, and with an '08 it would be kind of early, but the DIH parking brake can do this if the shoe hold down pins have pulled from the backing plate.

I live in Savannah, Ga. What is the DIH? It has the rear disk brakes also.

Will check the u-joints

Thanks

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
DIH (Drum In Hat) parking brakes.

While some rear disc brakes use a mechanism within the brake caliper to apply the brake pads as a parking brake (Integral Parking), our trucks use a set of shoes that apply to a brake drum cast into the rear rotor's hat section. I've got pictures of this in my facebook photo albums.

It is not uncommon in the states where slat is used on the roads, or if a person uses his truck on a boat ramp in salty water to have the DIH backing plates rust enough to have the parking brake holding pins pull through. Usually takes 4 to 5 years before they go away and problems start. Not an inexpensive or easy repair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts