The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend with a 2003 crewcab drw lb7. He has nothing more than a banks 6 gun as well as exhaust and intake. He also claims to stack a 70 hp quadzilla chip with this. I know nothing about this setup. He thinks he is putting down crazy numbers but won't dyno. And when I tell him there are better products for his setup he will not listen. He is a know it all of sorts. In an honest opinion could an 06 crewcab srw powerstroke hang with him if I had the sct with custrom tunes? This might be my way to get him to get a better setup.

·
3,939 Posts
If he's stacking a Banks :barf: and a Quad, his tranny is going to be wrecked soon. Figure he's maybe 380rwhp with that setup (LB7 - 230-240rwhp stock). It would be an interesting race until he limped his trans.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His tranny goes into limp mode all of the time. I keep telling him about the stupid power that you guys are making with efi live and ppe and he will not listen. He thinks that the hp numbers the tunes claim are rwhp which is a joke. He thinks that the banks is the best tuner available and is safe because it defuels. He has the money and enough mechanical knowledge to get him in trouble, but no sense of what is really going on... I guess to run the ppe or efi he would need to have transmission work as well. How much hp is the factory five speed allison good for.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
bronco81 said:
How much hp is the factory five speed allison good for.
Around the 350 rwhp range.........some can get 375 or so if they are lucky.

·
3,939 Posts
Factory Allison is good for +100rwhp. Some people can get away with more, but usually not for long.

How's about you invite your friend to join here so he can learn something.

I cannot believe educated, intelligent people buy into that Banks marketing BS.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am working on it. I am well aware of the potential his could have if he took some of yall's advice!!!

Thanks fellas

·
925 Posts
bronco81 said:
His tranny goes into limp mode all of the time. I keep telling him about the stupid power that you guys are making with efi live and ppe and he will not listen. He thinks that the hp numbers the tunes claim are rwhp which is a joke. He thinks that the banks is the best tuner available and is safe because it defuels. He has the money and enough mechanical knowledge to get him in trouble, but no sense of what is really going on... I guess to run the ppe or efi he would need to have transmission work as well. How much hp is the factory five speed allison good for.
Sounds like a guy I know. THis guys an idiot and needs schooled.

I tuned a LB7 for a friend with a 70 tow tune and a 125 street tune using EFILive. If he get into the throttle hard on the 125, his trans is not shifting well.

If the powerstroke has an SCT tune and controls the line pressure of the transmission, you should be ahead, especially since you should be putting down 400+ with a good shifting trans.

·
Registered
15 Posts
bronco81 said:
sounds like he needs a trans first before he does anything else.

Jared

·
Registered
15 Posts
maxxis_mudder said:
Sounds like a guy I know. THis guys an idiot and needs schooled.

I tuned a LB7 for a friend with a 70 tow tune and a 125 street tune using EFILive. If he get into the throttle hard on the 125, his trans is not shifting well.

If the powerstroke has an SCT tune and controls the line pressure of the transmission, you should be ahead, especially since you should be putting down 400+ with a good shifting trans.

i agree with what you are saying here

Jared

1 - 9 of 9 Posts