The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Window Licker
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the stock output and the high output? I know the stock came with either a manual 5 speed or auto but the high output only came with a 6-speed. But I guess the real question would be what is the difference in power stock and modified?

Oh almost forgot. Things to worry about. Ford guy getting rid of his Ford diesel for a Cummins cause he had to learn the hard way about diesels.LOL :Thumbup: Thanks for all the help thus far.

·
3,514 Posts
The H.O. has some differences in the injection pump, timing shims and some other goodies that I'm not sure about, and Higher compression. I think it was only rated at 10hp higher though.
Hope that answers your question.
Are you really selling your ford? and what lesson did you learn the hard way.
Sean

·
Window Licker
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YEP!!! The Ford is going to go bye bye. I am going to replace it with a Cummins cause with what I want to do it will be ALOT cheaper than my Ford or even a 7.3L. Plus I don't see anypoint in paying over $700 a month plus insurance on a truck that I only put 1500 miles on a year. I have learned that auto's suck. I should have never went to an auto. I just should have gotten a stick and I proably would have never went thru all the BS that I have in the past 4 months. I have come to a conclusion. I am to rough for a auto.LOL I have found a 24 valve with a 5-speed and a 24 vavle with a 6-speed with low miles and real CHEAP. This is why the question was asked. Will the 5 speed hold just as much as the 6-speed?

·
3,514 Posts
That really comes down to your clutch, IMO. The 5 speed needs a 5th gear nut installed, cause they have this little problem, that I don't actually know too much about, but the splines can strip over time. I think if you are running really high power, anything over 450rwhp, you will probably want a bigger better input shaft. And the 6spd may have a slightly larger one stock, but I'm not sure about that. The 6spd is rated to tow more, if that is anything to you, I think its rated at 26k and the 5spd is 18.5k. Anyone please feel free to correct anything I said that needs correction.
Sean

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
the HO ctd has 245hp, the 5 speed has 235hp and the auto has 225hp. you can look on the engine data plate it will tell the fwhp. it will say something like 225 isb or 245 isb. the 6 speed input shaft is bigger, but you can up grade your 5 speed input shaft to the bigger one. i think dia. of the 5 speed is 1 1/2 and the 6 speed is 1 3/4. hope this helps.

·
1,055 Posts
Tq was higher too, 460 to 505 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The HO motors were rated at 245/505, the SO motors were rated at 235/460. Automatic trucks before 2001 were rated at 215/440, 2001 and newer had the HY35 and 235/460. The HO pumps have different electronics(timing) and smaller plungers than the SO pumps 7mm vs 7.5mm. You could get a SO truck with a six speed from 1999 to 2000. The NV4500 and SO NV5600's have a 1 1/4" input shaft, the later NV5600's have a 1 3/8" input shaft.

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
i never can remember the right size, i guess that why the mic out every time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts