The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy over here at the office I have been trying to convince to put some stuff on his 7.3L. He never would do it until now...another guy here has a Cummins and put a Bully Dog on his truck. He blew past him the other day and this guy is pissed now...lol

He is ordering the SCT with the race, street, and tow tunes. He was asking me what he could expect, but I honestly have no idea. I don't really know a whole lot about the 7.3L except a good friend of mine had one still when I got my 6.0L. He had a lot more stuff than me and we ran and I beat him...he soon traded it in on a 6.0L. So I know with a tuner the 6.0L is going to be the stronger/faster truck...What kind of gains can he expect with just the SCT tuner??

·
1,726 Posts
There going to ask:

What year?
What other mods?

I am assuming this is standard SCT programs. To get the most gain of the SCT he would need to get someone to write a few custom programs for it.

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has an '02 model, and it's bone stock.

He is getting the SCT with some custom tunes in it. I have already sent his strategy out so they can write the files...

I am just wondering a general "guesstimate" on what kind of gains he might see...like I said I know it won't be as great as the gains on a 6.0L, but I would imagine it would be pretty good gains.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't know about a SCT, just put in a chip from DP Tuner:Thumbup: . Make sure he gets gauges. At WOT, the exhaust gas temp on mine went up to 1000 degrees in a heartbeat. Next mod will be exhuast:sly:

·
1,726 Posts
Yes a pyrometer to measure EGT is a must with a chip or tunner.
A custom tuned SCT will be close to if not as good as a chip!

Hp gain from stock should be at least 60 to 80 HP

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
texaspsd said:
Don't know about a SCT, just put in a chip from DP Tuner:Thumbup: . Make sure he gets gauges. At WOT, the exhaust gas temp on mine went up to 1000 degrees in a heartbeat. Next mod will be exhuast:sly:
:whs

·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried to tell him to get gauges and all the goodies and he doesn’t want to do that. Said he is going to get the SCT first and run it either on street or tow, and probably leave the race alone, but if I know him he’ll be running it on race.

The rest of the truck is bone stock.

·
6,337 Posts
With stock intake and exhaust... Tops of 300hp to the rear wheels. His EGT's with a good race file will be way to high, 1300-1500, but for short runs that wont hurt.

Bottom line... The cummins will still smoke him.

·
Diesel Pro
2,652 Posts
have him pull out his muffler and cat and that will help a little with egts

·
6,337 Posts
Depends on where it was sold as to if it has a cat or not... He will regret just adding a tuner...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
KAAA BOOOOMMMMM lo lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts