The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having to run the the new diesel in my 01 cummins and was wondering if it would hurt my VP pump. Also I have read some were that guys are putting 2-stroke oil into thier fuel tanks! Is this a good idea for lubricating the system or is it a bad idea?:shrug:

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Why not get some power service just to be on the safe side. That is what I add when I am not running bio. I don't know about 2 cycle. I wouldn't think it would hurt but I would wonder if it lubricates enough.

·
3,514 Posts
Its likely that it will do harm to your vp. I think in the not too distant future if not already there will be additives in the fuel from the manufacturer that will aid in lubricity. two cycle will lube enough though, I've heard of some guys adding a touch of used motor oil when running Jet A because jet A doesn't lub nearly as well as diesel.

on edit: I run stanadyne performance additive
Sean

·
1,055 Posts
I would run a diesel additive rather then 2 cycle. The additives are designed for use in diesel. I run power service, the white bottle. It is cheap and you can get it at wal-mart. But anything is better then nothing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have about 300 iles on my first tank of the stuff, I too used the white bottle power service. I have noticed a difference in the engine, more rattle almost, and a huge loss in fuel mileage. Let's just say, since I can still get the old stuff around a few places near me, I will be going bakc to it

Cory

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I don't know, my VP44 was going out until I started running the ULSD Fuel. I was freaked out like you guys though and started using a additive. Marvel Mystery Oil................ I don't know what gives here but I was days away from taking it into the shop. Now have put on a few thousand miles since then with no signs of it going out. So either Marvel Mystery Oil or the ULSD was my savor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I halfway think my extra rattle noise is just my brain playing tricks on me cause I am nervous about the stuff, but the mileage drop I am sure of

·
3,514 Posts
I haven't encountered it yet. Or at least not that I'm aware of. I've heard that they have to put a sticker on the pumps and I haven't come across one yet. But I run the Stanadyne performance/lubrication additive just to be safe anyways.
Sean

·
TDG Mafia 36
591 Posts
As far as I knew, it was supposed to be manditory on Oct 1st for all stations to have the new fuel, but maybe thats only a Utah thing, I don't know:shrug:

B

·
0 Posts
I have said it in several other post on here and I will say it in this one.

Stations are not required to sell the new ULSD until 2010 when the oil companies are no longer allowed to produce LSD. Although if the station switches to ULSD they can not switch back to LSD and then back to ULSD again without digging up the tanks and replacing them or having them certified by a tank cleaning company. If you pull up to a diesel pump and it DOES NOT have a sticker on it saying that it can not be used in 07' model and newer vehicles then IT IS ULSD. If you pull up to a pump and IT DOES have a sticker on it warning you not to use it in 07' model year and newer vehicles, then IT IS the good LSD stuff.

I have ran two tanks of the ULSD because I had no choice on where I was at. I never really noticed any perfromance loss, but I did notice a 2 mpg drop on my mileage with both tanks and the smoke was more gray than black.

·
3,514 Posts
thanks, I had heard that the mandatory switch date was in october. Interesting, this sheds a whole new light on things.
Sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts