The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for others that have a 2013 6.7 cummins.

Don't know if its a programing issue for smog related issues or or something else:confused:. When coasting down as like coming to a stoplight then it turns green before you stop, so you step on the throttle to go and.....the engine doesn't immediately power up. Its like there is almost a second that the engine doesn't want to pickup up rpm's then suddenly it does. Even does this with a partial coast down then a sudden/quick jump on the throttle. Kind of like back in the days of carburetors and the acelerator pump wasn't pumping fuel when you opened up the throttle and the engine bogged down momentarily then took off.

Its almost like the ecm is waiting for the turbo vanes to close down so the turbo can spool up before fuel is added to powerup? I would guess this would reduce black smoke ( coal) and loading up the dpf....just a wild guess/assumption :thinkingon my part. No codes are being thrown, 5000 miles on the clock in 2 months of ownership. Haven't even called the dealer yet to ask about it as its very minor but still noticeable.

Other then this oddball quirk I have extremely happy with this truck. Getting about 2 mpg better then my 07.5 did, smoother riding, quieter cab and of course all the extra comfort features over the 07.5. Still have just short of a 1/4 tank of def fluid.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Question for others that have a 2013 6.7 cummins.

Don't know if its a programing issue for smog related issues or or something else:confused:. When coasting down as like coming to a stoplight then it turns green before you stop, so you step on the throttle to go and.....the engine doesn't immediately power up. Its like there is almost a second that the engine doesn't want to pickup up rpm's then suddenly it does. Even does this with a partial coast down then a sudden/quick jump on the throttle. Kind of like back in the days of carburetors and the acelerator pump wasn't pumping fuel when you opened up the throttle and the engine bogged down momentarily then took off.

Its almost like the ecm is waiting for the turbo vanes to close down so the turbo can spool up before fuel is added to powerup? I would guess this would reduce black smoke ( coal) and loading up the dpf....just a wild guess/assumption :thinkingon my part. No codes are being thrown, 5000 miles on the clock in 2 months of ownership. Haven't even called the dealer yet to ask about it as its very minor but still noticeable.

Other then this oddball quirk I have extremely happy with this truck. Getting about 2 mpg better then my 07.5 did, smoother riding, quieter cab and of course all the extra comfort features over the 07.5. Still have just short of a 1/4 tank of def fluid.
I've heard the same complaint and it can be tuned out of it after the warranty expires by a dealer. They don't want to alter anything while they are still responsible, (at least around here).

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard the same complaint and it can be tuned out of it after the warranty expires by a dealer .
Backslap
Are you saying the dealers know about this and they can tune it out or does it take an aftermarket programmer? Do you know, is it related to programming for pollution issues? :happymugs

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Backslap
Are you saying the dealers know about this and they can tune it out or does it take an aftermarket programmer? Do you know, is it related to programming for pollution issues? :happymugs
It is a programming issue that is there to limit the torque rise of the engine until the turbocharger can spool up to limit exhaust emissions. An aftermarket tuning program will readily get rid of it as will a slight "recalibration" by a servicing dealer. Be careful as they like to deny warranty work if anything has been altered on the newer trucks in the first 12K on the clock. Again, this is from around here and I have no idea in your locale.

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Backslap, so my guess was correct on relating to turbo spool jp for emmission control.

·
201 Posts
mine does the very same thing almost like it has a power band have to becarefull on wet roads mine like to broke loose

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mine does the very same thing almost like it has a power band have to becarefull on wet roads mine like to broke loose
How many miles on your rig? I haven't had a chance to talk to my dealer about the hesitation, been to busy, but lately (6000 miles now) it seems to be getting less noticable.

Yea you learn real quick to be easy on the go pedal when its wet. In town if trying to jump across traffic from a stop, I slip it into 4x4 so it goes instead of sitting there spinning.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Mike my 12 did the same thing, I think it will go away as transmission learns. I have almost 13k now and I dont notice it very much at all anymore and really have not since about 10k.

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike my 12 did the same thing, I think it will go away as transmission learns. I have almost 13k now and I dont notice it very much at all anymore and really have not since about 10k.
I need to order my Sonnax pressure booster to firm up the shifts a bit. The 13's they definitely changed the shift parameters for smoother shifting between gears, makes on wonder how the clutch packs will hold. If the ecm cutting back torque at shift point probably ok, but I would like a firmer shift.

And :wave Neel. Its been awhile since you've been here. Hope all is well and good.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I need to order my Sonnax pressure booster to firm up the shifts a bit. The 13's they definitely changed the shift parameters for smoother shifting between gears, makes on wonder how the clutch packs will hold. If the ecm cutting back torque at shift point probably ok, but I would like a firmer shift.

And :wave Neel. Its been awhile since you've been here. Hope all is well and good.
Wonder if the Sonnax pressure booster will show in the ECM? I have also wondered about the ATS Co-Pilot controller. I would hate to see them void the warranty, if you had a failure.

I have been busy Mike, Working on a new Precision Match Rifle for Tactical/Sniper matches. Trying to get out shooting as much a possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts