The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Turbo Freak
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 140hp setting of my DP-tuner, I get 25psi, 120hp gets me 20psi. Of course I blow a thick cloud of black smoke on either tune. If I want to raise the boost to 30psi, can I just use an adjustable boost controller to do so or does this not work on Diesels (or is it not safe)? I figured as long as it's still blowing smoke, it should be safe at 30psi correct?

Also, I'm looking for another 50hp or so. Will a meth injection kit accomplish this? If so, what's the best "cheap" kit everyone uses?

My truck seems to run stronger than it should for the mods, don't know why. What kind of HP should I be pushing after I install my DIY cold air and magnaflow 4" exhaust? How about after adding meth and raising boost? Thanks.

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
you wont get anymore boost unless you add fuel.
water meth... you might gain 40 hp. if you actually use water an methanol only and the right ratio. and not windsheld washer fluid.
you will make between 325-355rwhp

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tighten up the waste gate rod and you might be able to get a few more PSI out of it. It does take more fuel to create boost but if you wastegate is opening and only allowing 25 psi to be built you can tighten it up and it will open later allowing the turbo to build more boost.

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
:whs but then you will be replacing the turbo after a while. i unpluged mine. and thats why i have a different turbo now.:poke:

·
Registered
32 Posts
yep that is a good possibility as well. A few PSI won't kill it but if you do hog wild it will. Thats one reason I like my OBS turbo with no wastegate and larger exhaust housing. I killed one so far next one goes and the HX50 is going on!

·
TDG Rocks!
393 Posts
So my OBS only pushes 15-18 but that is really pushin it is that normal?? And the needle really starts to like bounce back and forth after 10psi. is that mean its surgeing??? I think i can hear the pft, pft almost like a exhaust leak.

·
Registered
849 Posts
or do what i did welded my waste gate shut and im building 40lbs boost no lie unloaded BUT!!!!!!!!! i genaded it last week :hehe thats why im getting twins and some billet rods next month all it takes is hauling a 14,000lb john deere lol up a big hill on the 100hp tune ........go ahead guys call me an idiot lol limped home and put her in the shop to rest :damnit

·
Turbo Freak
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, I don't understand why a boost controller won't work. As far as I know, the wastegate works the same as any other wastegate (max boost pressure is determined by the internal spring pressure). The internal spring pressure in my Mustang's wastegate is 10psi for example. I put on a boost controller and I can turn it up to whatever psi I desire. What's different about the diesel setup? boostvalve.com sells a boost controller just like the one on my Mustang but it's for Powerstroke trucks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tightening up the rod on your stock wastegate will do the same thing. It will tension the spring more and allow higher blow open pressure in the exhaust housing. The boost valve you are talking about will probably work as well, but i haven't really heard of any thing like those.

·
6,337 Posts
Stinger23 said:
Hmm, I don't understand why a boost controller won't work. As far as I know, the wastegate works the same as any other wastegate (max boost pressure is determined by the internal spring pressure). The internal spring pressure in my Mustang's wastegate is 10psi for example. I put on a boost controller and I can turn it up to whatever psi I desire. What's different about the diesel setup? boostvalve.com sells a boost controller just like the one on my Mustang but it's for Powerstroke trucks.

You have to tighten the wastegate, the spring that holds it closed is weak, so it opens prematurly... You dont need to buy anything, just tighten it.

25# is the rated max for our stock turbos. You can go over that and they will be fine, but anything over 27-29 its just superheated air.

I prefer coolingmist for water injection, Snows is junk...
Check out KT Performance here, he had a group buy on the coolingmist and might be able to get you a good deal still.

·
Turbo Freak
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys.

The only benefit of a boost controller over a tightened spring is that a tightened spring will slowly open as pressure increases, delaying boost response. A boost controller holds it closed until max boost is reached, then opens, allowing the engine to build full boost at a lower rpm (which of course creates more torque).

·
6,337 Posts
Stinger23 said:
Thanks for the info guys.

The only benefit of a boost controller over a tightened spring is that a tightened spring will slowly open as pressure increases, delaying boost response. A boost controller holds it closed until max boost is reached, then opens, allowing the engine to build full boost at a lower rpm (which of course creates more torque).

Your not quite understanding what I am saying. The stock Wastegate rod is weak. The spring is weak and will open early causing you to loose boost, a boost controler will do nothing for this. Just tighten up your stocker and you will be fine.

If your dead set on buying something then get a Turbomaster wastegate controler. Look here...

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=457

·
Turbo Freak
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand that, my Mustang has the same "weak wastegate" problem. It's only 10psi with the stock spring. With a simple ball and spring boost controller, I can make it stay closed until 30+psi because the ball/spring valve doesn't open until that pressure, keeping the boost signal away from the wastegate completely (which keeps it closed) until max boost is reached.

The only way this wouldn't work is if the exhaust backpressure forces the wastegate open.

In simplest terms: It prevents boost pressure from opening the turbo's waste gate until the desired preset boost level is reached. Inside the valve is a precision stainless steel ball that is held in place by spring tension. During the turbo's spool-up (as pressure is building) spring tension in the valve is greater than the boost pressure pushing against the ball, so the ball prevents the air from flowing to the wastegate actuator.

Boostvalve: sealed during spool-up
http://www.boostvalve.com/images/boostvalveflow.jpg

This maximizes the efficiency of the turbo during the spool-up by using the greatest amount of air possible to spin the turbo charger. Most boost control systems waste air by venting much of the air out, even many factory boost control systems waste available exhaust energy during this crucial spool-up period. Once the turbo spools up to the desired boost, the Boostvalve opens, quickly opening the waste gate. Boost pressure is held at this level with accuracy unmatched by even more expensive methods of boost control.

·
6,337 Posts
Stinger23 said:
I understand that, my Mustang has the same "weak wastegate" problem. It's only 10psi with the stock spring. With a simple ball and spring boost controller, I can make it stay closed until 30+psi because the ball/spring valve doesn't open until that pressure, keeping the boost signal away from the wastegate completely (which keeps it closed) until max boost is reached.

The only way this wouldn't work is if the exhaust backpressure forces the wastegate open.

In simplest terms: It prevents boost pressure from opening the turbo's waste gate until the desired preset boost level is reached. Inside the valve is a precision stainless steel ball that is held in place by spring tension. During the turbo's spool-up (as pressure is building) spring tension in the valve is greater than the boost pressure pushing against the ball, so the ball prevents the air from flowing to the wastegate actuator.

Boostvalve: sealed during spool-up
http://www.boostvalve.com/images/boostvalveflow.jpg

This maximizes the efficiency of the turbo during the spool-up by using the greatest amount of air possible to spin the turbo charger. Most boost control systems waste air by venting much of the air out, even many factory boost control systems waste available exhaust energy during this crucial spool-up period. Once the turbo spools up to the desired boost, the Boostvalve opens, quickly opening the waste gate. Boost pressure is held at this level with accuracy unmatched by even more expensive methods of boost control.

Your not seeing how the wastegate on a PSD works... That little device will do nothing for you.

On a PSD the exhaust backpressures open the wastegate, the factory programing starts to blead a little pressure to the Red line to HELP overcome the spring pressure in the wastegate canister. But you are talking about 2-4 psi... This STILL allows backpressure to push open the wastegate.

·
Turbo Freak
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CSIPSD said:
Your not seeing how the wastegate on a PSD works... That little device will do nothing for you.

On a PSD the exhaust backpressures open the wastegate, the factory programing starts to blead a little pressure to the Red line to HELP overcome the spring pressure in the wastegate canister. But you are talking about 2-4 psi... This STILL allows backpressure to push open the wastegate.
Hmm, well in that case my sentence: "The only way this wouldn't work is if the exhaust backpressure forces the wastegate open" applies here then. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts