The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting a Raptor 150 shortly and was wondering if the draw straw 2 is necessary or just helpful to operation? Thanks. Also, looking at the Raptor install instructions, do you have to drop the tank to hook up the lines?

·
157 Posts
The problem with the stock sending units are that the lines are very small. I'm sure you could use them and get away with it...but all you're doing is starving the fuel pump. You will defiantly pick up more fuel with the draw straw. As far as having to drop the tank, if you're going to put in the draw straw, then yes. Either that or lift off the bed.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
Unless your going for A LOT of fuel then the Draw Straw is completly unessasary...and its a PITA to get to the bottom of the tank and you gotta worry about running low on fuel...and no you do not have to drop the tank to install the Raptor...you'll like it, i like mine a lot!

Nate

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Unless your going for A LOT of fuel then the Draw Straw is completly unessasary...and its a PITA to get to the bottom of the tank and you gotta worry about running low on fuel...and no you do not have to drop the tank to install the Raptor...you'll like it, i like mine a lot!

Nate
Hmmm... That's odd... I can get down to close to the empty mark and trip the LOW FUEL light...

It all about how you install it and how you drive. If you drive around with a heavy foot and sloosh the fuel around of course your going to have issues with it sucking air. But trip the LOW FUEL light and drive mellow and you can pull way down. The other half is being smart about installing the straw make sure you get it as close to the bottom of the tank. But also remember the weight of the fuel will pull the bottom of the tank down opening a gap but this gap will narrow as the the fuel is consumed.

But I don't think you need to worry about adding a DrawStraw for the Raptor since the flow rate is matched to your load since there is no return line to the tank.

Reactions: rwhite

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
Hmmm... That's odd... I can get down to close to the empty mark and trip the LOW FUEL light...

It all about how you install it and how you drive. If you drive around with a heavy foot and sloosh the fuel around of course your going to have issues with it sucking air. But trip the LOW FUEL light and drive mellow and you can pull way down. The other half is being smart about installing the straw make sure you get it as close to the bottom of the tank. But also remember the weight of the fuel will pull the bottom of the tank down opening a gap but this gap will narrow as the the fuel is consumed.

But I don't think you need to worry about adding a DrawStraw for the Raptor since the flow rate is matched to your load since there is no return line to the tank.
Yea, thats true...I know of a way to get it down on the bottom perfect!!!! but like you said if it sloshes and its low thats not a good combo...

Nate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts