The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I'll tell you about the truck then the noise. 90 1 ton 5spd trans. About a couple thousand miles shy of 200,000 miles. Couple weeks ago started to leak oil out the exhaust manifold. Last weekend front hub rebuild.

Now the problem. Just a couple days ago after taking off from a complete stop something stared making a rattling sound, almost sounded like bearings of a sort. First day this started it almost felt like something was seriously binding but then went away. The noise is mostly in the top end of second continuing through-out shifting. The noise doesnt go away when the clutch is pushed in and I kind of notice while slowing it stops just around 15 and under but picks right back up again when you speed up.

All my U-joints are ok, fluids are all good except had to top off the transfer case the other day.

I'll try to answer any further questions to the best of my understanding and keep up with this thread. :)

·
444 Posts
Check the downpipe mount on the bell housing. If it comes loose the down pipe can reposition itself and rattle.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that right off the exhaust manifold?

Talked with my grandpa cause he runs a diesel rig too, he said it could be the throwout bearing in the clutch. It only makes the noise now 2nd through 5th after getting off the throttle and you can really hear it.

·
444 Posts
Is that right off the exhaust manifold?
No its about 12" below the manifold. Where the down pipe turns toward the rear of the truck. There is a mount it bolts onto one of the bellhousing bolts. If that mount comes loose the downpipe can reposition itself and rattle. After a while the down pipe will crack the flange from not being supported.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That all seems to be straight.

Saw that mechanic last night and he ruled out the clutch. So looks like I'm getting the sweet task of making sure everythings tight and mounted.

The leaf springs up front look like the shackle in the rear is touching the body, shouldnt those almost be parallel?

·
444 Posts
The front spring rear shackle should be at a 90 degree angle to the frame or close to it. If yours is laying back that far I would check the length of the springs to see if someone might have put longer ones in.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the interesting thing about them is that they are to skyjacker springs that are supposed to be for the diesel engine trucks but im starting to doubt that on mine.

I tried the ol long screwdriver / broom handle method and it still predominently sounds like its coming from the clutch.

In the mean time I'm doing all the looking around and checking, doing the research that I can for this.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could anything with the Transmission cause a rattling noise?

·
444 Posts
No it would be grinding noises.

Take the inspection cover off and take a small inspection mirror and a flash light and look the clutch over as good as you can. Look real close at the springs in the pressure plate.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The inspection covers on the transmission? I can't find any on the clutch housing.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok this will be a conclusion to this thread, hopefully most of you read through if not skim the complete threads.

First following the previous posts. Old trucks like to shake things loose. Check to make sure nothings loose.

Make sure U-joints are good, even though most of us know the noises they make when their going or gone.

SO..everything looks good and sound, everythings tight fluids are good.

Did you check the Rear differential? If not open it anyways even if you doubt yourself or things others have mentioned. Your drivelines hollow and noise travels!

Heres what I found out about my pinion gear. 5 teeth are now destroyed, but not completely so I can still limp it to a shop. 3 are still 3/4's of a gear tooth there and 2 are only half there. Keep spinning the tire or gears around to make sure the bearings good. Mine still is thankfully. So with what little needs to be repaired when I know the cost I will post that too. Sad saturday but she will live and my wallet will be empty. Thanks for the previous advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts