The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a really bad vibration coming from the rear end. I only feel it when I turn corners and only after I drive for awhile. It seems like its worse if I'm on the hiway travelling straight and then slow down and turn. I also notice it more when I pull my 5th wheel or car hauler trailer and only when I’m turning. It almost feels like the rear end is locked up. I tried turning at low speeds and it does the same thing. It also does it in reverse and I feel it when I'm back up into a campsite at low speed.:wtf

The truck is a 2003 F350 SRW 60000 miles all stock. It's only really used to haul my trailers.

I can get an almost new rear diff from a buddy with a Tag on diff S132G 10 10 2 2L06 for free. Will this fit if I need to replace the diff?

Maybe its time to try a new 6.7!!:happymugs

Thanks for any help!

·
3,051 Posts
Sounds like the limited slip is locking up. Can be also affected by a bad driveline angle if the truck is lifted. But in your case I would first drain the diff and inspect the fluid. See if there are any abnormal amounts of metal or chunks of debri in the oil. If all looks ok, then refill with a good GL-5 diff fluid. Can also add a small bottle of friction modifier too. Also make sure your u-joints are in sound order on the driveshaft. As for that diff number you gave, not sure, would have to do some research. You want to make sure its the right ratio especially if its 4wd, and the right housing so everything fits. Harry

Reactions: budman1239

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Harry

I'm going to change the rear diff oil this weekend and see if there's any noticeable debris or damage. I did check the ujoints and steady bearing but all looks good and tight. Other guys with similar posts on here said it was the steady bearing causing the vibration. I might change it out see if it makes a difference.

The truck does have rear airbags but it doesn’t really change the angle too much.

:bang:bang

·
3,051 Posts
Your welcome Budman. You may be on the right track, as my truck had the same symptoms as yours after it was lifted, was locking up around corners, had to add some more shims to the center driveline support bracket. So if your center support bushing or bearing is worn, could be the cause on your truck. Good luck and let us know your outcome. Harry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts