The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my truck back! The engine has been rebuilt. No mods except guages, BHAF to be done this weekend. Any tips on breaking it in? It sure drives nice. With the price of diesel, it may take me 5 years to save up enough money to drive it around to get it broken in. Any tips on what to do from here will be appreciated.

·
163 Posts
Why did you have to get it rebuilt?. When mine was rebuilt I just drove like I normally would, and didnt baby it and it has done fine.

·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to have it rebuilt b/c the A HOLE dealer I bought it from didn't bother to tell me it had been under water. I got stung pretty bad. I was told to change the oil at about 1,000 miles to 1500 miles.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yup just drive it like you stole it! and in about 50,000 miles you should see 20mpg! Law suit on the dealer?!!! Call a good lawyer!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, In California there is something called the Lemon Law. Seems to me, your problem falls into that category.

·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a used vehicle. I'm not sure about the lemon law. Monday I am going to take the repair bill to him, ask him to pay for it. I'll tell him he can pay it and I'll be done, or he'll be sorry he screwed me as I will cause as many legal hedaches for him that I can.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I'd hear it's best to drive it hard when you break them in. After about 500-1000miles hook it up to the biggest load you can find and pull hard for a few hundred miles then your done.

New cams need phosphorous and different break in procedure

·
203 Posts
Drive it like you stole it, But only after getting up to operating temps. Change the oil at 500 - 800 miles & after 1000 miles pull a heavy load & you're good to go. Just my $.02

·
110 Posts
I have always been told with the cummins drive it like u normally would,i bought mine with 20k on it and it was gettin 12mpg ,hooked it to trailer took a 2k mile road trip for work shortly after she started gettin 17-18 mpg around town.

·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've just been tooling around town. I towed my horse to a rodeo this morning, but it was only a few miles away. Seems to run great, but I have not had a chance to get on it. Do any of you feel that it could be bad for it to just tool around town? I don't have another rodeo to haul to until the last weekend in march. That one is only about 120 miles away. It is not my every day driver.

·
79 Posts
Damn that would piss me off!!! Hope you get him good if he doesn't pay up. What about the rest of the truck & water damage? I think at the very least he could loose his dealers license. Best of luck!

·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I'm trying to stay calm. I just want to beat the tar out of him, but I don't think it would be worth the jail sentence. He did a good job hiding all the cosmetic stuff, except he forgot to take the factory part # stickers off the radiator, and air dam. He cleaned it up really well. Where he f'd up was he must have tried to blow the water out by removing the injectors, but he broke a stud. There was dirt in the turbo that he didn't clean out, and some dirt in the frame i found. It is the stripped down truck, rubber floors, manual windows and locks, cruise, tilt, amfm cassette, the crappiest most uncomfortable Dodge seat made. But, he put new wheels/tires on it, the chrome grille (not the black one) all things that don't go on that type of truck. I've caught him in some lies....Lets see what happens.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow, good luck Man, Hope it all works out for ya. If not, Let me know, I'll tell my cousin Tito :nunu:

·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It took me a minute to get it. that was funny. I confronted him on monday, gave him my recipts and told him I wanted the $4400.00 it cost to have it rebuilt. He started to back peddal, but then in the end seemed open to a compromise. We'll see. Obviously, his word is worth nothing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts