The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have front shocks to recommend? Mine are starting to feel worn at 40,000 miles. need somethinh heavy duty for work, heavy loads.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
If your looking for OEM style, LMC truck sells HD replacements for cheap.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Duke, dont bother with OEM stuff.

Go with Bilstien shocks or KYB, do all four, you wont be sorry. You will wonder why you wated so long to do them.
Both options in stock too

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suppose I want to do an air bag system on my truck in the future. There's a front air helper shock they sell to level the truck supposedly made by Bilstein. Comes as part of the whole Firestone ride rite leveling system. Can I buy these shocks now and run them "empty" (no air) without damage to them until I get the rest of the air bag kit parts? Or must these shocks have air in them at all times?

If I need new front shocks, I figured I'd get the air shocks now and buy the rest later when I have more play money.

·
3,533 Posts
If your shocks are cold after a trip then they are junk if they are quite warm they are working. you may have to remove them to see if they have a dead spot. Bad shocks are usually noticeable buy abnormal tire wear. Then again, if you feel better with new shocks go for it.

·
182 Posts
I'm running QA1 double adjustables on the front, so far I love them. Not really an OEM fit, need to modify the lower shock mount to get them in there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just went with Rancho 5000's. Not sure how they will last but they definetly improved my ride from the Fabtech's I had on. Not bad price on them either.

·
32 Posts
Just ordered mine from shockwarehouse.com free shipping and use code PLACE5 and get another 5% off

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Duke, dont bother with OEM stuff.

Go with Bilstien shocks or KYB, do all four, you wont be sorry. You will wonder why you wated so long to do them.
Both options in stock too
How much (rough guess) would it cost for four bilsteins?

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Thanks Wayne, going to save that to my favorites.

·
496 Cubic Inches
245 Posts
I got Bilsteins and Im not all that happy with them. I think they are rougher than OEM. If I had to do it again Id go with the yellow Bilsteins. They are a little softer than the Zinc ones. Of course I like a soft ride. I never had any bad body roll with the OEMs so there is no need for stiffer ones on my truck. Just my two cents.

·
Another day in paradise
284 Posts
Heres my 2 cents. And if you dont like it you get your money back.LOL

I got the Rancho 9000 just for the ability to adjust them.

I go harder in the front and softer in the rear for DD. Stiffen up the rear while towing and I'm happy. Works great for MY truck. Plus Rancho has a rebate thing going on. $100 back on a set of 4.

And like said about the Bilsteins ( which I considered ) night and day difference on MY truck. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts