The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
King Of Farts
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do they make two kinds of reflective tape? One kind is 6" red/6" white, and the other kind is 11" red/7" white. Which kind should I use on my trailer or does it matter?

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
:popcorn:

dang good question right there.....I wanna know too

kevin

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
MoeB said:
Why do they make two kinds of reflective tape? One kind is 6" red/6" white, and the other kind is 11" red/7" white. Which kind should I use on my trailer or does it matter?
It's probably done on purpose by DOT so they can pull you over and fine you for having the wrong kind of tape. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Duke said:
It's probably done on purpose by DOT so they can pull you over and fine you for having the wrong kind of tape. LOL

LOL LOL LOL THAT was my first thought.........

kevin

·
King Of Farts
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'd seen that rule, "one color cannot exceed 2/3 of the total segment" before elsewhere. I know 7 by 11 comes out to .636363, which is less than 2/3rds the total segment, so I guess that means it's ok to use it. But why did they decide to use longer red pieces in the first place. Someone at the tape plant likes to make the DOT guys pull out their measuring tapes to see if you have more than 2/3rds red?? :shrug:

Now that I think about it, no way am I gonna tempt the DOT cops by using tape that's only .03 of an inch within regulation. :badidea: I'm going with the 50/50 stuff.

·
3,754 Posts
both meet spec for dot just preference. Make sure the stuff says "dot" approved cuase it has to meet reflectivity standards too

·
324 Posts
I can order this stuff if anyone is interested please pm me and I will get pricing for you

·
TDG Single Club Member#14
1,086 Posts
better check yer state too 1 of our drivers got a ticket for having the red section starting the line of tape instead of the white.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
big_rooster said:
better check yer state too 1 of our drivers got a ticket for having the red section starting the line of tape instead of the white.
Are you kiddin me? Don't these clowns have anything better to do?

·
3,754 Posts
I agree duke. There are tons of crud trucks running ont he road, w/bad drivers, illeagle drivers, no brakes, bad tires etc to mess w/a guy cuase he didnt start w/the right color. These guys are out here trying to make a living. I know the cops dont write the laws but they have discression and could be out doing something better then writing tickets for that

·
4,827 Posts
It's a money thing, like always.................... :damnit:

·
Registered
46 Posts
big_rooster said:
That`s just chicken [email protected] right there, sounds typical though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts