The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the fuel is injected at the end of the exhaust stroke to create a regen cycle, is the resulting EGT more or less than the 1200* we have always tried to stay under? If it is less, then why wouldn't a few runs or pulls at 1200* negate the need for a regen cycle? If it is more than 1200* then has something been done to these new engines and turbos to make them live thru sustained temps above 1200*? If so what? If not, then why couldn't the older engines be run at whatever EGT's the regen cycles create for the same length of time the regen cycles take? About how long do the regen cycles take?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I dont think the turbo sees the excessive heat caused by the regen? I could be wrong

·
Powered By Ford
2,438 Posts
Liftedpsd said:
I dont think the turbo sees the excessive heat caused by the regen? I could be wrong
I'm pretty sure the heat passes through it but it isn't as hard on it as it is on the DPF. definitly something to think about though.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Where exactly does the fuel get injected? I mean is it pre or post turbo? That would tell you if the heat is hitting the turbo...Not sure i was just trying to put something out there..

·
191 Posts
As far as I know it is injected in the exhaust stroke through the injector, so it would be going through the turbos, no way it couldnt. As far as the the heat goes my personal experiance has showed egts can run higher than 1200 with no problems, but im sure it doesnt help the life of the pistons, valves, or turbos

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I could of sworn there was an injector to inject it into the DPF? Could be wrong..sorry

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
fullservice,

You are 100% correct, the "extra" fuel for active regeneration IS injected near the end of the exhaust stroke by the regular old fuel injector in the cyliner(s).

You are also mostly correct in the EGT question. Every OE measures EGT POST-TURBO, and 1250*F is about the upper limit for any length of time. Now, as you get further down stream from the exhaust valve, the EGTs drop dramatically. So, the EGTs pre-turbo will always be somewhat hotter than post-turbo.

That is not to say that 1250*F is acceptable on older engines (pre-turbo) as materials and manufacturing methods have made modern turbos MUCH more durable than those of a years ago.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Thanks john...Sorry for the confusion

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By older I was think in terms of the 6.0 L engines. Not much older and wondering just how much they could take for any period of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts