The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends, the family and I may very well be relocating to the area of East Tx (Houston, DFW, Tyler, etc) or North West La (Shreveport etc) this summer for work.

We have done a LOT of research, have friends in Houston but would appreciate any advice fellow TDG members can offer.

NEED good schools, 10+ Acres at least 75 miles north of the gulf on a paved road near a major US or State highway, Interstate is best (I travel a LOT).

We have located stuff in the areas of: Tyler, College Station, Lufkin, Monroe, Shreveport and north east of Houston but don't really know much about the areas.

We would like to be within an hour of a major airport (yea right), have families with kids in the area, GOOD drinking water, horse friendly area where off-road vehicles are welcomed on your own property.

We don't want: Flood areas, ocean front property, a HUGE expensive home, more regulations than flies in a barn, or a run-down crime ridden area.

Thanks in advance!

·
2,951 Posts
I live in Friendswood, TX but its alittle to close to the gulf for ya. But let me know when you move and I will buy you dinner and a beer :thumbsup

Lonnie

·
180 Posts
College Station:
Very Good Schools and has one of the U.S.'s Top Universitys in it (Gig 'em Aggies!)
Most Areas are Horse Friendly/ATV
Close to HWY-6 (30miles down HWY-21 and your at I-45)
Has many neighborhoods with families in the area
Has Great drinking water
Great law enforcement thought not that many regulations.
Not too heavily populated where traffic is insane, but Good luck getting somewhere early on Sunday nights during football season.
Property isn't expensive.

One bad thing is it isn't really close to a MAJOR airport (closest one would probably be Houston, in which its just like a 2 hour drive... HWY-6 /take exit to huntsville/take I-45 and it's a straight shot to houston.

Houston I wouldn't really live there as the fact that it is heavily populated....traffic can get bad, in many areas crime is bad, not sure on the friendlyness of the neighborhoods (the times i went to visit my friend i got shot at by a kid with a BB gun :-/)

Good Luck picking your place :D I bet you'll like Central/Eastern Texas alot :D

Reactions: John_G

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man, that IS helpful!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts