The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dsoe any 1 have or know of what remote start i can use on my truck its is a speed so i dont know if that will be a problem but all the lock and windows are power and i all ready have a remote entry and is there a system that waits 4 the wait to start light??? thanks

·
3,514 Posts
You can get a diesel system that will wait for the grid heater or glow plugs, however they are kinda pricey. I have talked to people that say just get a 4 channel remote, use 1 for your alarm if you have one, 1 for your locks, 1 for the grid heater, and 1 for the starter. Thats the way I would do it anyways. As for the manual trans part. You will have to fool the clutch safety switch into letting you start it, and always make sure that it is in neutral when you try to start it, but thats kind of a given.
Sean

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
You can get a Diesel remote for under 200. Actually the few remote starts, i've installed, all happened to be Diesel remote starts and all the ended up on gassers. (Thus they all wait to start even though they don't have glow plugs, heater grid, etc.)

I'm yet to install one that doesn't work for a diesel. I dont' know if all remote starts are made with diesel's in mind or it was the company I bought them off of.

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where do you get them phily?? is it a pretty easy install??

B

·
0 Posts
I personally would not install one a manual tranny equipped truck. Sooner or later you or someone else is going to forget to take it out of gear and bad things are going to happen.

·
3,514 Posts
Bouncer said:
I personally would not install one a manual tranny equipped truck. Sooner or later you or someone else is going to forget to take it out of gear and bad things are going to happen.
Yeah, I always leave the ford or my toyota in gear when I get out. But if you're adamant on doing it, then yes it can be done.
Sean

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Bouncer said:
Cummins5390 said:
where do you get them phily?? is it a pretty easy install??
They aren't too bad to install and sometimes fun when everything works right.

A local car audio place that does business around the country. They don't install them anymore. Not sure if they even sell them anymore. They don't install them because there are so many people are starting them in gear and even some people are having issues with automatics, starting in gear, too. Automatics that haven't been installed/rebuilt right. It's a big issue starting in gear, not just for the manuals.

On top of that sometimes they mess with the TCC solenoid or equal because of how you have to tie into the brake switch. The transmission place, I did some work for, ran into a problem with a Allison that fried the tranny basically because of the remote start. Not sure how but the TCC wasn't disengaging, I believe. I wasn't there for that one, so I don't know all the details.

Bouncer is 100% right. I would just never do it on a manual.

Remote starts are a great idea, giving your engine a chance to warm it before driving it, is one of the best things you can do for any car. But they can get you in trouble.
Espically if you'd remote start a Diesel...
left in 1st, 4 Lo, with 4.10 gears or lower.
It's just turn into a bulldozer without a driver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts