The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
dinoburner
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put in a remote starter but am concerned that I might need a special type due to the glow plug delay light havng to go off before cranking the engine. I'd appreciate any advise from anyone that has installed an after market remote starter for their 6.4. Thanks

·
499 Posts
yea i want one to but dont know how it would work either.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Diesels have specific remote starters just for the glow plug cycle. Any reputable remote starter outfit will have a diesel setup.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
I have the FORD starter/alarm in mine, a little expensive but it was included. Works well and if anything to do with the install goes wrong they installed it so warranty is still good. I think it would have been around $700 +/-

·
Registered
59 Posts
Go to caralarmpro.com. They carry a few different brands including Code Alarm. They then make VEHICLE SPECIFIC install directions. And instead of splicing, you use T-tap connectors. Don't get professionally installed, unless you want to waste a lot of money. Supposedly they tell you what wires to tap into and where they are.

Reactions: dinoburner

·
Spartan, True Performance
411 Posts
I have Code Alarm on both trucks. Expensive, but they work very well. If I had to do it over again, and wanted to get something a little less expensive, I think I would get a Clifford. Something like the Matrix 50.7X, or the Matrix 50.5X.

·
111 Posts
I just had the code alarm and auto start put in my truck for $350. Works great. He also hooked up the trunk release that i cant use to my train horn button so i can sound it off remotely. If you live near or in Ma. pm me and i can set you up if you want it done.:thumbsup

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
I have a Code Alarm SRT-9000 in my truck and I love it... have it hooked up to the glow plugs. Had to install a relay to get it to work properly, but all is well.

I hate T-tap connectors with a passion. :bang:

·
23 Posts
I have a Viper on mine. If you take it to a reputable shop, they'll know what you need.

·
TDG #97
1,234 Posts
I got a viper... make sure they set the crank time enough so the thing starts! I am going to have to take mine back because the way its programmed now it doesnt crank long enough to start when its cold...

·
Chirpin Tires...
1,402 Posts
im thinkin about getting a viper, does it allow you to still use the keypad on the outside of the door?

·
5,365 Posts
any GOOD alarm (DEI owns most of the alarm companies) will have a DELAY til crank
setting if not a wait to start connection.

I have a VIPER 5900 SST, it provides remote start, and run w/out key features (pull
the key out and let it continue to run while you run in the store or while it cools down).

you can lock the truck & set the alarm in any of these "engine running" modes.

the 5900SST also provides 2-way notification/paging (so you know by looking at
the remote if the truck is running or shut down, locked, unlocked or if the alarm was
tripped)....2-way pager/remote notification range is 1 MILE.

I paid 425, INSTALLED

·
5,365 Posts
im thinkin about getting a viper, does it allow you to still use the keypad on the outside of the door?
the keypad is still operational, you can use it to lock/unlock the door BUT
as soon as you open the door the alarm will trip.

the factory key pad & remotes are NOTHING more than door lockers/unlockers
no alarm <starter uninterupt> etc !

I am unaware of ANY REPUTABLE alarm system that integrates the door
key pad.

that said...how many times to you go to your truck where you dont
already have the key in your pocket ?

If im working around the house and expect that ill need to get into the truck
then ill turn the alarm off & use the door key pad...but i ONLY do this at
home in my drive-way.

Its all in what you get used to...and it doesnt take long to keep the keys
with you

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
the factory key pad & remotes are NOTHING more than door lockers/unlockers
no alarm <starter uninterupt> etc !

I am unaware of ANY REPUTABLE alarm system that integrates the door
key pad.

that said...how many times to you go to your truck where you dont
already have the key in your pocket ?
I am not saying that the FORD one that I have is better than the Viper but My keypad does control the alarm. It is very handy, I can activate/deactivate it with a combination of buttons. Mine only has a shock sensor btu can be upgraded if I want and there is a more expensive series than mine also

When I go sledding I lock my keys in the truck (alarmed) instead of putting them by the gas cap or leaving them in my pocket so its nice to have the keypad functional.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
I got a viper... make sure they set the crank time enough so the thing starts! I am going to have to take mine back because the way its programmed now it doesnt crank long enough to start when its cold...
Mine actually records how long it takes for ME to start the truck. Averages it over the past few starts. Timers are junk IMO. :thumbsup

·
TDG #97
1,234 Posts
any GOOD alarm (DEI owns most of the alarm companies) will have a DELAY til crank
setting if not a wait to start connection.

I have delay till start... for 15 - 20 seconds... It still doesnt crank long enough to start.

I have the viper 5701 I think

·
5,365 Posts
I have delay till start... for 15 - 20 seconds... It still doesnt crank long enough to start.

I have the viper 5701 I think
sounds like something is set up wrong.
mine is set for 30 seconds and only TWICE did it not start...
but on the "auto" retry it fired.

·
TDG #97
1,234 Posts
ill just have to take it back in when I am done with this quarter and have em check it out.

·
122 Posts
Anybody have experience with Viper 5901 or Python 991? The place I take my vehicles to recommended those two systems.

·
5,365 Posts
the 5901 is nothing more than an updated 5900...

the remote on the 5901 is different (shape) and uses different icons <Ohhhh AHHH> ;)
a larger screen and the remote now displays the temperature inside the car/truck...
as if it matters...you still gotta walk out into the cold or heat to GET to the vehicle !

the features, range & specs are the same as the 5900 (which has been around for
years).

nicest feature of the 5901 is that you can charge the remote via USB docking station

the 5901 includes a 2nd (1-way) remote too...

http://www.viper.com/P-5702V/Viper+...de+Sst+2-way+Security+And+Remote+Start+System

I have the 5900 and im happy w/ it.

Reactions: firedog90
1 - 20 of 26 Posts