The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 6.4L Powerstroke has 160K miles. I am thinking about removing the emissions controls. What benefits and problems will this result in? I hear that the mileage will be better (currently about 14 mpg) but I hear that getting an inspection is tricky.

·
212 Posts
Tons on posts on this topic, so I recommend reading up on it. You can't remove the DPF without some sort of programmer install. If you do, the truck will go into constant regen mode. Benefits after removal and the installation of a "quality" programmer will be better MPG's, a wonderful increase in HP and TRQ, reliability and drivability.

For inspection purposes...you will want to keep the original exhaust parts (DPF/CAT) and replace them and tune/program the truck back to stock mode prior to any inspection.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I am not very savvy when it comes to this type of work. Is there someone in the STL to Festus area that does these type modifications?

·
212 Posts
It can all be done in the comfort of your own driveway or shop. Research the DPF/CAT delete pipes, find the right programmer (some come with the pipes you are looking for), grab some tools, beer for the friend helping and bingo...it is finished.

·
606 Posts
The other benefit is the fuel dilution in the crankcase will drop almost to zero. This will make your pistons and bearings happy.

Reactions: SDoss
1 - 5 of 5 Posts