The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here removed or gotten rid of the Air conditioning system befor? or have any tips on how to do it?

im looking to remove the components under the hood, as well as the huge cooling fans i have half way back underneath, and the auxilary AC at the back of the vehicle.

id like to get rid of these to free up space under the hood for other parts im installing.

My main question is about the compressor which is hooked up to the drive belt. What happens to the open end of the hose thats attched to the compressor. i dont think i can take the compressor out because it looks like its coupled with the idler in the belt diagram.

any help would be great.

(1993 ford e350 7.3L shuttle bus)

·
455 Posts
if it has a serpentine belt, you should be able to remove the compressor and get the idler pulley and bracket that is used on the motors with out ac.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont all vehicles have a serpentine belt?

would there be a way of just closing of the hose coming outta the compressor? i would like to do this with out having to get a new anything or spend any money.

thanx for any advice.

·
455 Posts
nope, lots dont have serp belts, mainly older vehicles though, my idi doesnt. far as plugging the lines, idk, you could try your local plumping or auto parts store for some sort of rubber plugs and some kind of cap. then just on hook the wires to the compressor to make sure it isnt acidently turned on

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright so it sounds like i just discharge the system, then take out the AC components, plug the remaining hoses, and disconnect wiring to prevent use.

is there anything else to know about, like coolant being used in the AC system? or anything like that?

·
1,700 Posts
i dont quite understand what your asking but if you are totally disabling the a/c system you can remove/cut what hoses you can and then not worry about them being open. the a/c system is self contained so if disabling or cutting hoses etc.. there is nothing to worry about as far as things leaking out or in. keep in mind if the system is charged you will have pressure inside the lines so be carefull removing or cutting the lines.

you can either leave the compressor there and it will become an idler for you belt or go to and salvage yard or maybe parts store th get the "A/C delete" pulley to put in the compressors place. these parts will be the same for F series trucks but you are limited to 93-94 or serpentine belt systems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx very much. that helps a lot.
i was just wondering if the AC system used anything else like coolant or oil. And if so, would taking it apart leave any incomplete loops for other fluids. but it sounds like you can just remove the AC without affecting anything else.

·
1,700 Posts
correct, it may leak some oil out but thats just for the a/c and nothing else do no problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts