The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping out the tranny in my ford, and I can't get my Tcase to budge. The truck is a 94 with a 01 motor, ZF 5spd, and I don't think the Tcase has been off since new and it has over 310,000Km on the clock so roughly 200k.

Anyways, Like I was saying I can't get the Tcase to budge, but I haven't taken any drastic measures yet, because I don't want to damage it.

I've disconnected the 4wd indicator light wiring, The shift linkage is all disconnected, and all 6 bolts to the tailshaft housing on the transmission have been removed. And of course so have the driveshafts. My book says something about a speedo gear drive, but Its not very indepth, and I can't find anything like that, no cables, linkages nothing.

So is there anything I'm missing or is it just frozen on and I have to be a little less gentle. I just want to make sure before I go accidently breaking something.

Thanks,
Sean

·
190 Posts
Get under it and push up and down to wiggle it off. Mine was kinda stuck too but I have a e4od. The transfer case on my truck has a aligning pin that slides into a hold on the ext. housing. You might try to get a thin wedge in there. But my truck is a auto but I think the t-case is the same.

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll go look for that aligning pin. I tried wiggling it, but my problem was I just moved the whole trucks suspension and didn't make much headway on the t-case. I'll go see what I can't do I guess.
Sean

·
2,509 Posts
there shouldn't be a speedometer drive gear in it unless its different than my 96 they have a sensor in the rearend. take a flat gasket scraper or putty knife and try and drive it inbetween there. if you use something to thick you could bust the housings.

·
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, its out. Just needed a little more convincing that that is what it really wanted. Once I got the gasket freed up, it was simple. Like I said, I just don't like using a lot of force as a first resort. A small pry bar in the right spot freed it up just fine. It was able to apply better pressure than I could.
Thanks again guys.
Sean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts