The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most days you would think this thing just came off the showroom floor as good as it runs, but then there are days like this morning.

I was caught in traffic (all us nightshift guys going home) and instead of the usual 70 I was running 35-45 mph hovering between 1250 and 1500 rpms. At these speeds the truck sometimes 'pulses' like its running out of gas then getting gas or like you were gently feathering the gas pedal. When it does this the tach gently drops 250-500 rpms, then back up to operating rpms. If I put my foot in it she goes no problem! :Thumbup: If I let off the gas she coasts no problem. If I use the cruise control it doesn't seem to happen but then cruise at 35-45 sucks where I live due to the hills.

Somebody explain to me how this gas pedal works...could that be the culprit?

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
they are drive by wire so the gas pedal is electric, sounds like that could be ur problem

·
TDG Member Since 2004?
584 Posts
Sounds like there may be a dead spot in the pedal sensor. Try knocking off the OD between 35-45 so the engine is operating in a different RPM range. The theory is that this will put the throttle in a slightly different spot hopefully eliminating the intermittant "stuttering". If this fixes it, it's likely the pedal assembly. I know certain years of trucks have known problems with the pedals but I can't remember which ones.

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Any reccomendations/advice on replacement? Should just be unplug, unbolt, rebolt, replug right? Are the aftermarket replacements any better/worse than the stock Ford part?

·
TDG Member Since 2004?
584 Posts
It's a piece of cake to replace. You can just open the door, slide the seat back and lean under the dash while standing on the ground. There's a couple 2 or 3 10mm bolts holding it on. A 3/8 drive, 6" extension works perfect. In and out in under 5 min.

Try www.fullerfordparts.com

You might just want to call them. The parts locater is kind of akward so don't get fooled into ordering a TPS for a gas engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts