The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive torn down my 06 6.0, and found that my LPOP was bad, so i replaced it, and cover, and now it still does the same. Is there a way to prime the oil system since the system was drained to replace everything? I also replaced the oil cooler and oil filter stand pipe, along with stand pipes, and dummy plugs, did the HPOP air test, all passed, FICM has 48v output, glow plugs function

·
1,211 Posts
How much have you cranked?
Sometimes the FICM is bad even when it reads 48V (components other than the DC-dc board can fail).

·
3,306 Posts
Yeah these truck need alot of cranking to get it to fire after work like that has been done. Like bismic has said...maybe FICM. My cousin's FCIM on his '06 tested 48v, but after dealership tested it...half of it was junk.

·
3,051 Posts
I wonder why the lpop failed? Hopefully not because of this, http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/photographs/index7.php
I have been hearing some lifter type noises at idle on my truck, has me concerned. If everything is functioning, you will need to crank the heck out of the truck to bleed out the air and get enough high oil pressure to fire the injectors(500psi). Have heard of the screen getting clogged with debris in the hpop from a lpop failure. Do you have a way to read your high pressure oil, like with a scangauge2 or edge monitor or a AE?

Harry

·
1,211 Posts
I wonder why the lpop failed? Hopefully not because of this, http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/photographs/index7.php
I have been hearing some lifter type noises at idle on my truck, has me concerned. If everything is functioning, you will need to crank the heck out of the truck to bleed out the air and get enough high oil pressure to fire the injectors(500psi). Have heard of the screen getting clogged with debris in the hpop from a lpop failure. Do you have a way to read your high pressure oil, like with a scangauge2 or edge monitor or a AE?

Harry

I was wondering the same thing Harry. Once you get mechanical damage of the LPOP (which can happen from a failed HPOP shedding metal that eventually get to the LPOP), metal pieces can slough off of the LPOP. The HPOP screen is pretty flimsy - even the upgraded stainless one. These parts, as you said, can damage the HPOP. Then, if metal parts are shed there (or go through the HPOP), they can get into injectors, etc. It is not good for sure. Hopefully the screen did its job.

·
3,051 Posts
Scary stuff, especially when you consider the only way to repl a camshaft is to remove the crank on these motors. The trail of carnage if metal contamination has gone into the hpop and beyond would make anyone sick. I sent off for a Blackstone uoa kit, will take a sample on mine to see if anything is going on(high iron content).

Harry

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
You don't need to remove the crank to R&R the cam.

Your '06 has an ICP sensor on the front of the RH valve cover, remove it while you crank. This will allow most of the air in the system an easy path of escape and will make a minimal mess.

Reactions: harry6.0

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the input, the LPOP failure could be from poor oil change intervals, the truck before i got it hade lots and lots of idle time, i changed out the oil cooler and screen, sounds like i need to invest in a better battery charger. lol

·
3,051 Posts
cb44473 quoted this way back, he's a Ford diesel tech with good credibility.
You have to pull the crankshaft before you pull the cam. Yes it comes out the back do not take the gear off the crank to get the cam out as this is how the crank shaft is balanced.

Harry

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cranked and cranked, and cranked some more, still no fire. I pulled the oil filter out and its not even wet. Any ideas? Just changed LPOP and front cover, lubricated the gerotor gears with lithium assembly lube while changing out.

·
3,051 Posts
Gosh, I don't know. Maybe the system is clogged with debris from the old lpop failure? But you would still think some pressure would get through. How about the check/relief valve in the lpop, is it stuck open?

Harry

·
52 Posts
there a pressure relive spring on the crank since there the lpop was bad i would check it it a 12mm allen just pull it out if it spings out it stuck then just stick your finger in there and wiggle it around till u get it lose and pull it out and inspect it

·
Tyler
63 Posts
im just guessing but the sump pick up screen could be clogged. best way to check for oil flow while cranking is to take out the filter and have some one crank while you use a screw driver to hold down the little black plastic piece at the bottom of the housing. it should fill pretty fast.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would understand that only if i had oil in the LPOP, you wont get flow to the filter housing if there is no flow through the LPOP to get it there. There wasnt a sign of oil on the relief spring. I could be miss thinking though. I have to agree with the pick up strainer being plugged. Do yo have to pull the enginge to pull the pan?

·
81 Posts
first did you put greese in the new gears or vasoline ? it will help it create suction also did you replace the gear cover or the hole front cover

2nd you dont have to pull the crank to replace the cam iv done it many many times you can remove the crank adpator it has nothing to do with the ballance and on a 6.0 it even has a pin so it only goes on one way a 6.4 has no pin but they both have timing dot

·
1,211 Posts

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used lithum based grease to lube up the LPOP on assembly, frsh new, rotella 15w40, 15qts to be exact, if it is a pick up/ strainer, whats the easiset way to troupleshoot/ pull pan?

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also forgot to mention, that I replaced the front cover and the gerotor cover that hold the crank seal behind the balancer, also the gear set is new

1 - 20 of 31 Posts