The Diesel Garage banner

Replacement Transmissions

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  platinum01 
#1 ·
I'm looking at replacing my transmission, I don't do a lot of pulling anymore but I don't want to be limited from pulling anything. What kind of after market tranys are y'all using and what do you like or dislike about them? All input is appreciated.
Kenny

#3 ·
I personally run BTS but had a ford reman that was up to the task at 350-400hp for 2 years.BTS has over 60k miles on it now and is a year old.It isn't no slouch.Pulls drags tows the 10k+ GN.2 year unlimited mile warranty.

Mike

#8 ·
I put the 5 star convertor from ATS in mine about 3 weeks ago. I had a triple disc ATS, and I like this new one a lot better. ATS has been good to deal with also.

#10 ·
Bts

Everything I've read says BTS......

I emailed em a week or more back about maybe sending one downunder, because I'd heard they did so previously for someone.

No reply yet.....so I'm a little sus about the guys commitment to customer service...then again - maybe he's so busy he just hasn't got time to do his mail?.

If I was wanting warranty assistance/advice on the side of the road, I sure wouldn't want to be kept waiting a week or two for him to find time to get back to me..

Maybe it's just me...... I have a thing about folks don't answer their mail.
What else can't they find time to do?

All I asked was for a quote to ship one!
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Cheers!

#12 ·
KT Performance said:
I am looking at the "TripleLok three-disc lockup clutch torque converter", how much better is the 5-star converter?
I don't see the need to use more than 3 discs. The TC makes extreme heat as it is. It needs clearance for ATF to cool those discs. More discs have to occupy the same space or more room must be made. That means thinner discs and less clearance or thinner cover. Just an op, I think the 5 star is a marketing attempt to get attention.

I use a billet converter inside and out, not just a billet cover. 3 discs of high temp material others don't have. No studs, the cover is tapped for bolts. That's a thick cover. Weighs 65 lbs dry, 25lbs over stock. Heavy metal that means business. :damnit Can't say more due to site rules.
Big corporate names don't have all the good stuff. BTS is successful in a small town in Ark, and doesn't list build specs others do. Look at the amount of parts ATS has in it's catalog--it speaks corporation. So does Suncoast. I can't offer an opinion on a specific brand, but all the transmissions mentioned have had failures.

If you want to post specs on the BD build in forum or PM I can comment on whats listed. Or others as well. I can offer a hands on perspective of build specs if you'd rather have that than opinion and owner's experiances.

Attachments

#14 ·
I don't think you can get the tripleloc anymore. ATS offers the 5 star in its place.

#15 ·
I got a kick out of the ATS converter ad. "The reversal of fluid is commanded by the factory computer or an external lock-up controller such as the Co-Pilot¿. This fluid reversal compresses the five clutch plates providing a 100% mechanical engagement ensuring no plate slippage during lock-up even at power levels in excess of 2000 foot pounds of torque."

Thats how a stock Ford converter locks up. Thats why it uses the factory computer :roflmao: . If you don't have a 100 % mechanical clutch lockup...your torque converter clutch is slipping and just plain worn out.

The wheel hasn't been reinvented. New names have been given to the parts. They also call their stator design a new name. Paint is called an external surface sealant to reduce corrosion. Command your way to work tomorrow instead of drive :D.

#16 ·
4cstr said:
I'm the oddball here, but its a position I've grown accustomed to. LOL

I have the Monsterbox in my truck. I have been very happy with it.
Sounds like you got a good one 4cstr. Good rebuilds are born when you correct wear.

Oddball eh? I'll look out for that LOL .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.