• Re-Power The Current Truck With A Cummins

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Sell The Current Truck And Buy Theft Recovery Truck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell The Current Truck And Buy Clean Private Party Truck

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Sell The Current Truck And Buy A New Truck

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Seek Professional Psychiatric Services, Because This Is All NUTS!

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To Replace or Upgrade Current Truck, That Is The Question...

So here's my situation. I have an '05 F-350 CCLB 4x4 SRW 6.0L 6-speed. It's been a good truck, but I'm running into issues with working a truck equipped with a 6.0L Powerstroke.

The first option I have is to modify my current truck with a re-power to a Cummins. With a re-power costing about $10-12K the way I'd want it, and with it potentially taking 1-2 months, I can't really justify the time or the expense.

The second option seems more practical. Sell my truck and replace it with either a Dodge with a Cummins, or a Ford with a 6.4L. And I would prefer a DRW truck. The obvious choice is a Ford F-350 DRW or F-450 DRW, but I wouldn't mind a Dodge Ram 3500 DRW. I'm going to be doing a lot of towing and want at minimum a 12000lb GVWR truck.

I've been looking at theft recovery trucks through IAAI and Copart, etc. and I don't mind a salvage or reconstructed title if it's a theft recovery. In truth, theft revoveries usually end up with a clear title anyway, ad it would just pop an ugly carfax. This seems a logical way for me to get into more truck than I have with only minor risk, and without excessive cost or more payments.

What do you guys think? Does this make sense? Does it seem kind of crazy? Should I just say to hell with it and re-power the current truck?

·
1,060 Posts
IDK if it were me I might try to find a cummins dodge to slip into, how you go about getting it IDK a good truck is... a good truck no matter where it came from. It would be cool to repower your ford but if cost ( your going to spend more than that on a replacement dodge to fit your likings, it wont cost 1/2 that if you just get a good cummins in your truck and over time do the upgrades because they will have to be done to a new truck anyway) and the main one is your time restriction, but I have to ask why are you suddenly giving up on your current set up? Are you changing directions on what your doing? because you 2005 should handle 15K where as my older one will be at the limit with 12K. time and money it your choice how much of each?

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the spirit of exploiting the loopholes in the laws of the State of California, it turns out that the truck I have has some advantages. Like not having to be registered as a commercial truck to tow trailers for hire. It can operate as a pickup, and is exempt from stopping at weigh stations. I still need a Class A CDL to tow over 10,001lbs, and for the lengths I'll be towing, but it all makes a Common Rail swap more attractive.

To the extent that I would consider the swap an option again because it would lower the operating costs compared to the current truck and copmared to any of the replacements, I could probably justify the cost of the swap even though it is more than I had budgeted to come up with for the above scenarios. I should also note that in the process, I'm not looking for more power from the swap, especially with peak torque 600rpm sooner with the Cummins than the current Powerstroke. About all that would be modified would be the exhaust and intake, and maybe something electronic, because I really don't need big power.

Thoughts?

·
1,060 Posts
Then dose a truck that just cost's more to operate make up the difference for an engine swap or a new truck altogether?

·
227 Posts
In the spirit of exploiting the loopholes in the laws of the State of California, it turns out that the truck I have has some advantages. Like not having to be registered as a commercial truck to tow trailers for hire. It can operate as a pickup, and is exempt from stopping at weigh stations. I still need a Class A CDL to tow over 10,001lbs, and for the lengths I'll be towing, but it all makes a Common Rail swap more attractive.

To the extent that I would consider the swap an option again because it would lower the operating costs compared to the current truck and copmared to any of the replacements, I could probably justify the cost of the swap even though it is more than I had budgeted to come up with for the above scenarios. I should also note that in the process, I'm not looking for more power from the swap, especially with peak torque 600rpm sooner with the Cummins than the current Powerstroke. About all that would be modified would be the exhaust and intake, and maybe something electronic, because I really don't need big power.

Thoughts?
Not totally true! towing a tow behind trailer over 10k is true, but a 5er is good til 15k before a class a cdl is needed.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
If you want to get replaced your old vehicle parts and accessories you could simply get access to this forum from where you could find and use relevant information.
I guess I do not follow?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts