The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Giggity Giggity
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to do my VP this weekend after it crapping out last weekend and I was wondering if the Blue Chip Diesel gear puller thing is really required to do the job. I have no problem buying it at all, and I figure if I do have it, other guys in the area can use it when they need it to. I am just making sure that is a must have before I drop the $50+shipping on it. Thanks.

-Greg

·
454 Posts
Strictly gravy said:
I’m getting ready to do my VP this weekend after it crapping out last weekend and I was wondering if the Blue Chip Diesel gear puller thing is really required to do the job. I have no problem buying it at all, and I figure if I do have it, other guys in the area can use it when they need it to. I am just making sure that is a must have before I drop the $50+shipping on it. Thanks.

-Greg

Yes you need the pump press to push the VP44 off the gear. I have the pump press. Are you local to Massachusetts? Also if you are getting the VP44 through Blue Chip, spend the extra $300 and get the special X VP44. I did when i just recently replaced my VP44. I love it. Runs really smooth. 25HP more to the rear wheels. I def. notice i difference. You won't be disappointed.

·
32 Posts
Just replaced my VP44 and didn't use the Blue Chip gear puller. I used a steering wheel puller. Or if you want, any decent machine shop should be able to make a puller like the Blue Chip one in less than 30 minutes. It's not like pulling a bearing that has been pressed on. It's a tapered shaft and when the interferance is released, it's loose. I put a slight amount of pressure on the center screw and gently tapped it with a brass hammer, and bingo it was loose. The hardest part of removing the gear was loosening the nut. It's put on with 125 ft lbs of torque. Oh yea, getting the motor lifting bracket off of the rear, to gain access to #5 & 6 injector lines off wasn't easy either.

·
4,158 Posts
I don't know if you have to have it but it helps a lot, and you know you won't break anything if you have it.

·
23 Posts
triker888 said:
Just replaced my VP44 and didn't use the Blue Chip gear puller. I used a steering wheel puller. Or if you want, any decent machine shop should be able to make a puller like the Blue Chip one in less than 30 minutes. It's not like pulling a bearing that has been pressed on. It's a tapered shaft and when the interferance is released, it's loose. I put a slight amount of pressure on the center screw and gently tapped it with a brass hammer, and bingo it was loose. The hardest part of removing the gear was loosening the nut. It's put on with 125 ft lbs of torque. Oh yea, getting the motor lifting bracket off of the rear, to gain access to #5 & 6 injector lines off wasn't easy either.
X2 Worked great!

·
409 Posts
I used a steering wheel puller as well. It's better to spend $8 at your parts store than $50 for something that will work basically the same.

·
45 Posts
You can also get the gear puller from advance auto for about $12. You will need to ask them for the 8mX1.25mm bolts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts