The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever installed a risitor on number 31 wire at or near the PCM? I ungraded my valvebody and truck goes into limp mode maybe once a day and i have to turn the truck off and restart it to reset it so the truck will start in first gear again and not third. I was told i need to install one on number 31 wire to fix the issue. Anyone else have to do the same thing?

·
307 Posts
This past weekend I installed a 1/4 watt resistor on the #31 orange wire of the center wire harness, the resistor came with the HTS tranny that I also installed this weekend.

hope it helps.

Eric

·
3,514 Posts
I personally Installed a Pot on mine so that I can control it. I ran a 12v keyed source to the pot. grounded it, then tuned the output to 4.67 volts. you want between 4.6 and 4.7 volts ideally. Then clip the orange wire, tape up the end that goes into the PCM, and solder the other end to the output wire from the pot. This will take care of that issue for you. A resistor would work too, but I like the pot because you can adjust it, if need be.
Hope this helps.
Sean

·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never done this before. Is it easy to do? I already bought a little pack or resistors for a buck. 100 ohm 1/4 watt is what suncoast told me to get. I know i have to take the air filter box out to do it. When i find the wire do i have to cut it and solder the resistor? Any printable directions? thanks

·
307 Posts
its pretty easy just pop the hood, go to the pass side of the truck (99) take off the center plug , peal back the tape that holds the wires together, find and cut the orange wire (#31... i think.....) make sure to leave enough on both side to work with , strip them and solder the resistor to the wires, then tape them up and plug the wire harness back in.

I will try to get up a few pictures, they will help.

·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its pretty easy just pop the hood, go to the pass side of the truck (99) take off the center plug , peal back the tape that holds the wires together, find and cut the orange wire (#31... i think.....) make sure to leave enough on both side to work with , strip them and solder the resistor to the wires, then tape them up and plug the wire harness back in.

I will try to get up a few pictures, they will help.[/QUOTE]

Awsome. Help is very appreciated on here. I was also told that it could be a solenoid or a transducer, but find it hard to believe because my transmission operates 100% and never had any issues. 90,000 miles on truck. so i am leaning more towards the resistor. thanks guys for all your help:popcorn: :Thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts