The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 30' Komfort trailer with roof AC unit. Blows air but doesn't get cold. Can these units be recharged? I couldn't find any hook-up points to add AC.

·
8 Posts
The new law says that it cant be charged if it does not have the fittings on it from the factory ( they dont) . They say you have to buy a new one. I am in the same boat but coolant might not be your problem. Say thanks to the global warming scam for the law.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
The new law says that it cant be charged if it does not have the fittings on it from the factory ( they dont) . They say you have to buy a new one. I am in the same boat but coolant might not be your problem. Say thanks to the global warming scam for the law.
who told you that I think they were blowing smoke! they are a sealed system but they can be worked on.

Is compressor running would be first thing to check.you'll have to get up on top to know for sure.

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the compressor is working. When I have the generator attached to it and turn on the AC it loads the generator, tried it plugged into the house as well, still not blowing cold air.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
Well you need to verify the comp. is running. You should be able to hear it when you turn it on. Start the fan first let it get up to speed then go to cool see if it starts take off cover on top and check to see if larger line is getting cool smaller line should get HOT if not could be a refrigerant issue or compressor issue.

·
8,265 Posts
Silly question...but have you cleaned it? Every spring when I go to wake my camper up, I have to take a hose up on the roof and spray the bejezzus out of it. Leaves, twigs, dead bugs, you name it, seem to crawl up inside there. Give it a good cleaning if you haven't and see if that helps at all.

·
Inline Junky!
1,705 Posts
whats the make and model number on the unit? And we recharge them at work. we have an hvac guy that comes and he has a tool that taps the line and removes all the coolant then puts charging fittings on and charges em up!

·
1,836 Posts
Once the cover is off you can feel the vibration of a running compressor (big can with 1 large and 1 small tube and some wires), no vibration means it did not start - check electrical connections or possibly a hard start kit. Vibration with small tube warm is a leak. Small tube hot and large tube chill - fan not driving inside.

There are access valves that silver solder to the process tube, Tap-a-lines that clamp to the suction tube and discard taps for refrigerant recovery on scrap. Skill level for handling refrigerant is moderate to high. Hazard level for ignorance is high.

Common cause of no start is a run capacitor, another is setting for over 6 months.

Leaks can be found with soap or bubble solution and a dauber or paintbrush.

There is a label that specs refrigerant and amount as well as current draw for the compressor.

Most common is r22 - it is $200 for 30#, the smallest size sold now.

Reactions: jestersv

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I let it run for about an hour in approx. 85 degree temps. Took the cover off, there was some dust, but nothing else. The large line is quite hot and the two smaller ones are cool(I would not say cold, just cool). It was still only blowing warmish air out the vent. The compressor had a 98' year of manufacture on it, looks like it is a Tsecumsh(sp) compressor.

·
1,836 Posts
That is on the list for broken suction valve, to check it needs a tap on the suction line.

Cost of a new compressor on the roof and cost of a new unit are close most places. You need a good tech.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts