The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys used a Kuhn rotary rake? Ive wanted one of them for a while. I never was fond of wheel rakes, and am looking to upgrade from our old newholland rollbar. Thanks

·
4,827 Posts
Never used one myself, but if you get the PTO set so it matches the ground speed pretty well, it ought to keep from knocking as many leaves off of the alfalfa.

I used to run an old A-C PTO hay rake. Get the PTO and rake gearbox set right, it wouldn't knock many leaves off. I liked it over the old ground driven ones any day. Particularly when compared for use in heavy windrows and bald drive tires that drag more than roll. LOL

The wheel rake is pretty much the simplest design. Fewer moving parts, too. Seem to work well, and you can really haul *** and cover some ground.

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found out the rotary rake is more like you did it with a pitch fork. Fluffy and no leaf loss. Ive seen guys go out at 3:00 in the morning to rake alfalfa with a wheel rake. However due to price I may have to go the wheel rake rout.:damnit

·
JakeBrakeIH
88 Posts
I used a neighbors once(Kuhn model unknown) and it worked really well...we have 2 JD roll bar rakes and it was much different raking with that!!...I do have to agree that it took some finesse to match ground speed with RPM of the rake but you could make one hell of a windrow!!!...I will say that my uncle has a JD wheel rake and after one year of use it sits as only a back up in the brush row...you have to go super slow with it to get a good job...

what do you bale with, round or square??...what do you mostly bale??...also what will you be raking with...we use mostly old farmalls and some of those rakes are run with hydraulics to lift it and some to rotate the rake...

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We round blae almost everything. Are stands are either alfalfa or orchard grass with some fescue starting to take it. I do most of the raking with our 7210 and 3020 john deeres.

·
4,827 Posts
If the one you are looking to get is driven hydraulically, I'd suggest using the 7210. Better hydraulics and the flow is adjustable from the seat to help regulate rake speed to ground speed.

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bmoeller said:
If the one you are looking to get is driven hydraulically, I'd suggest using the 7210. Better hydraulics and the flow is adjustable from the seat to help regulate rake speed to ground speed.
Yeah the Kuhn was pto driven, the 7210 is the only thing with enough hydraulic power, capacity to run a hydraulic rake. (That we have)

The dealer told me the model I needed to buy. IIRC a 4120. It had an operating width of 13'8". Our mower is an 820 JD its 9' wide and is set to put out a windrow about 7' wide. That rake width seems narrow to me.

·
201 Posts
Are you tedding the hay behind the mower?

If you are it doesnt mater what size rake you have.

If not and want to use a twin rotor central delivery rake to put 2 windrows into one you need a rake that reaches atlest 16'.

·
4,827 Posts
:whs

·
455 Posts
we have a kuhn ga 3000 rotary rake, i like it the most,nice fluffy rows, gets all the hay up. we also have a vikon wheel rake, the only thing like about it is thats its 3 point hitch mount and i can go like hell doing strait rows but thats it, we also a new holland rollbar rake, i hate it, only used it once

·
455 Posts
double post

·
4,827 Posts
91/2 7.3idi said:
we also a new holland rollbar rake, i hate it, only used it once
Especially those with a single dolly wheel up front. ANY brand. :nunu:

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:iagree I cant say they dont work. Ive ran over a lot of acres with one, but just dont have time to take one swath at a time any more.

·
4,827 Posts
Ya, they work, but the stupid dolly wheel can be a problem in heavy windrows. The old steel wheeled IH rakes work pretty good. :D Just a little squirrelly on the road sometimes. LOL

·
201 Posts
I would suggest the GA6501, or a GA8521 and put 3 windrows into one.

The only thing you need to watch for with central delivery rotary rakes is the wider you set the working width the wider the windrow is or the narrower you set the width the narrower the windrow. Most people set the rake to the size windrow they want, but in your case you havent tedded the hay so the windrow the mower leaves determines the width.

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everybody for posting. I dont put up enough hay to adjustify something that pricey. Ill keep my eye out though.

·
1,705 Posts
My uncle just got a H&S wheel rake. As much as I hate wheel rakes I guess it's pretty darn good and doesn't loose many leaves and cleans real well. We run a Farmhand wheel rake and it's an old POS but it kinda works still. I'd like a John Deere/Vermeer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts