The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of running rotella's 5w40 synthetic, especially here in the colder weather. i already use rotella 15w40 and like the product. the 5w40 is supposed to be an excellent product. anyone using it out there? i see in the supplemental owners manual for Dmax owners that they show 5w40 being acceptible to use as an alternative oil for 15w40......:smoke

·
Registered
18 Posts
No problem using the 5W-40. Just added benefits for the cold months with the 5W, Otherwise since both 40 weights, you get the same benefit at operating temps.
Heath

·
706 Posts
I switched to 5w40 rotella a few yrs back.I like it,and its reletively inexpensive for a synthetic oil.You'll notice faster starts,less strain on the engine on cold mornings and slightly better mpg and reponse in cold weather.I think you'll wonder why you didnt do it sooner once you fire it up cold with the 5w40.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John DiMartino said:
I switched to 5w40 rotella a few yrs back.I like it,and its reletively inexpensive for a synthetic oil.You'll notice faster starts,less strain on the engine on cold mornings and slightly better mpg and reponse in cold weather.I think you'll wonder why you didnt do it sooner once you fire it up cold with the 5w40.
do you use it all year round?? i was thinking of doing that, since a synthetic can take must lower and higher temps than a conventional oil:thanks:

·
706 Posts
I use it yr round,I do a lot of stops during the day pulling a trailer on hot summer days,with my twins,and big sticks it takes a LONG time to get to 300 pre turbo ,with the 100 degree higher flash point I can shut down at 400 degrees safely,which only takes a minute or so of iding,instead of 4+ minutes.

·
3,939 Posts
I also use Rotella 5w40. Can't say that I've noticed better mileage, but it seems to hold up just fine. I change my oil every 7500 miles (twice a year).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also use Rotella 5w40 IN MY 02,I RUN IT FOR 9000 MILES NEW FILTER(AC) AND 9000 MILES MORE,18000 TOTAL.300,000 MILE AND THE TRUCK RUNS GRATE,IT MY USE 1 TO 1 1/2 QT IN 18,000 MILES.THE LAST OIL WAS WITH A NEW AMSOIL FILTER,OIL WENT 22,900 MILES AND LOOKED GOOD ? 1 QT USED

·
BUG JUICER and
1,239 Posts
John DiMartino said:
with my twins,and big sticks it takes a LONG time to get to 300 pre turbo ,with the 100 degree higher flash point I can shut down at 400 degrees safely,

how did you determine that 400 was a safe egt to shut down? With respect to oil condition that is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.