The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it just started today.
Feels like a spark plug misfire at idle.
It began during nice warm weather, 'bout 80 degrees here in Phoenix area.
Truck was already warmed up from earlier run this morning.

Power is good. . .just at idle does it rough up.
This is a new tank of fuel. . .I filled it yesterday when it was almost empty - so that tank of fuel is getting to it now.

I have the ScanGuage II installed but don't know what readings to look for.
Can anyone provide any ideas?

·
1,324 Posts
How do your FICM voltages look?

Do you run Archoil or Rev-x? How many miles on the oil change?

Not sure if the SGII can be programmed for cylinder contribution but the auto enginuity can. This would tell you which injector is possibly the issue.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Check the FICM voltage in your scan gauge II, also check ICP (injection control pressure). If FICM voltage is 48v+ at idle and ICP is 600+psi it's likely just bad fuel. If you want to verify, remove the fuel filter on top of the engine and give it a good look for water droplets and a good smell to see if it smells abnormal like kerosene, jet fuel, or gasoline. Sudden change though and I'm going to stick with bad fuel. Run the tank down or drain it, change both filters and fill with fuel from a trusted source.

Reactions: eco-rich

·
3,051 Posts
1. make sure the x-gauge commands are programmed into your ScanGauge
2. check for fault codes
3. check ficm main power voltage...47-49v (like Weld mentioned)
4. check your fuel...smell the fuel cap and make sure no gasoline is in the fuel...some stations have accidently filled the diesel tanks with gasoline, has happened more often than you think.

Harry

·
3,051 Posts
Idaho beat me to it!

Harry

Reactions: IdahoF350

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FICM volts are good all the time.
I have not checked the ICP - yet.

Oil change is approximately 3000 miles ago.
I run Archoil - and have for almost two years now.
Fuel filters were changed a few thousand miles ago.

I forgot to ask. . .if it is a bad injector, will it get worse? Slowly or quickly?

·
3,051 Posts
If it's a failed injector and it's bad enough to cause a consistant misfire, then it will most likely not get better. Should throw an injector-cylinder contribution fault code if it's a bad misfire.

Weird though that it's fine off idle, usually when an injector goes out it misfires at all rpm's.

Icp pressures should hold fairly steady at idle, maybe just try unplugging the icp sensor and see if it smooths out.

Harry

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday morning it started and ran smoothly at idle.
ICP was over 600 at idle.

As it warmed up it quickly began the rough idle again.
The roughness could (barely) be felt all the way up to about 2000 rpm where it became undetectable.

Ran a few miles, up to 55 mph, did a few errands and returned home.
I noticed that when coasting to a stop (engine basically at idle during that time) the ICP would drop to 585.

Weirder yet, got it home in the driveway and the idle had smoothed out to normal.
Anyway - I've nothing new to add and will look at the icp sensor and fuel filter later today.

Thank you all for the pointers.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's going into the Ford shop on Monday.
We drove it today about 40 miles - both freeway and surface streets.
The idle smoothed out, but now it smokes like a coal fired industrial plant.
No tailgaters drive behind me now.

The smoke looks a lot like the truck in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ngEOi3jcC0

·
3,051 Posts
If the whiteish smoke smells like raw diesel fuel and smokes as bad as the video you posted, then I wouldn't drive it except to get it in for repair. Certainly don't want a hydro-lock situation. Have had a few members over the years lose an injector tip and boom, that was it.

Good luck on the repair outcome, hopefully it's just one injector, but may consider doing the whole bank if they are all originals.

Harry

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the call from the dealership shop yesterday (Bell Ford in Phoenix).
$812. parts and labor - to replace one bad injector.
The truck should be ready to go home this afternoon.

The mechanic reported several other things could use attention.
The turbo is making a small noise - it should be taken apart, cleaned and inspected.
The bed plate has a small oil leak - 25 shop hours to fix - I can live with one drop of oil on the garage floor every week for that price.
Rear axle seals are leaking.

Since I plan on selling truck when I get it back to Washington state, the service advisor recommended doing just the injector.

So, next question is 6.2 gasser or 6.7 diesel. . .new or used?
:)

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
For what it's worth, my best friend just bought a brand new truck, the first brand new anything he's ever owned. It was a 2+ month process. He had specific areas that centered around ride quality and seating comfort. Money wasn't really a factor. He drove the best of the current offerings from the big three.

Now, his current truck is a 2003 F-350 Lariat CCSB 7.3L 4x4, lifted 6" on 35s. The 11 year old Super Duty interior is still comfortable for him and serves as a benchmark. He also has a 2008 Chevy 1500 that has seats he finds pretty uncomfortable. Before the F-350 he had a Kodiak 4500 4x4 with air ride seats, and a bunch of suspension work that bay as well have been a cement mixer it rode so bad. He also had an '02 F-250 V10 before the Kodiak.

So as much as he likes the '03 F-350, it rides pretty rough. Which sent him running to the GMC dealer to test the new 2014 HDs. Nice trucks, and he was ready to buy one but he asked me what I would buy and I told him I wouldn't tell him until he drove the other trucks, Ford and Ram. So he drove the Ram, and got all excited because it was more comfortable than the GMC and rode just about the same, only it had a more solid feel to it. He was ready to buy it, an at the las minute the salesman fed him a bad bit of info, and he got nervous that everything was bad info. Remember, I've known him half his life and this is the first time he's ever bought a new anything, so he wants it to be just right.

At this point he calls me, questioning everything, but ready to fall back to a GMC 2500 Duramax because he knows what he'll get. I convinced him to go drive the Ford finally and then test the other two again, and he did. He tested a King Ranch, which he liked, found it to be more comfortable than his Lariat, but not by much, although the new truck rode dramatically better than his '03. But now he had a better benchmark of his current truck to the latest offerings. So when he retested the GMC and the Ram, he finally made a choice.

He ended up ordering a Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 6.7L. Which happens to be the truck i told him he'd want two months ago. It just happens to be the best feature set of the big three right now. And it balances the civilities of the GMC's car like ride and cabin comfort with the solid feel of the Ford.

So I'd suggest you try out your options before you settle on a new Ford. If you're going to keep the same camper from your picture, I'd go diesel, regardless of the brand. Or you might Keep your current truck a little longer if it has treated you well.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rather than go off topic on this thread. . .can you help?
Which forum would be best for comparing 350/3500 dually trucks, either gas or diesel, for hauling a very heavy camper?

I've got questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts