The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i park my truck up hill in the morning its a pain to start have to crank it a while and tap the pedal few times. The fuel pressure is good 14-15 if i bump the starter. If i park level or down hill never misses a lick.I have checked for leaks none ????

B

·
0 Posts
You could have a crack in a hose that will not leak fuel but will leak air. Also could be the metering diaphragm is bad in the VP44. Sstockton "Sean" has experience with this and could probably help you out. He will chime in soon I am sure.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I vote for the air leak problem... It a real common problem...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks i will start in morning to look it mover again any common area for leaks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Leaky Diaphragm She says

Bouncer said:
You could have a crack in a hose that will not leak fuel but will leak air. Also could be the metering diaphragm is bad in the VP44. Sstockton "Sean" has experience with this and could probably help you out. He will chime in soon I am sure.

Is it hard to replace this metering diaphragm or would it be covered under the powertrain warranty?

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, the metering diaphragm can't be replaced with out special tooling, and its you should just buy a re-manufactured pump if thats the case. However, I don't think it is. The metering diaphragm usually problem usually results in hard starts when hot, and not cold starts or when at an incline. Its a good thing you noticed the incline part of this, when people I know have trouble starting the first thing I tell them to do is try parking it facing down hill and see if that helps at all. Often times it does.

The problem is the return valve in the VP is stuck open. Usually it opens up when there is excess fuel, and the excess fuel can return to the tank. When the valve fails it sticks open. Now anytime that the pump is higher than the level of fuel in the tank it will bleed back. This part can be replaced and I think it costs about $75, but I don't have a link to where it can be purchased, I'll have to do some digging for that. The one part that gets me a little, is usually trucks that have this problem have some trouble when parked level.
Hope this helps.
Sean

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where is the return value located at

1 - 7 of 7 Posts