The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
1911 single stack
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally bought a Ruger LCP the other day and love it so far. I am a huge fan of 1911s, but wanted something to go in my pocket. I really like the fact you can put it in your pocket and forget it is there. I shot about 50 rounds out of it and it shoots very well for what it is...IMO. I put a piece of wood out on a frozen pond and at 20-25yds center mass would not be an issue with the little pistol.

Anyone like or dislike them?

·
572 Posts
I have one and I love it. It has made carrying concealed a breeze. I treat it just as I do my car keys and my cell phone. Every morning when I get up, it goes in my right front pocket and stays there the remainder of the day. Many will argue that the round is underpowered, however, when I used to carry my Springfield XD .45, I would leave it in the truck more often than not, just because it was too big, and too heavy and uncomfortable. With the LCP, I always have it, underpowered or not, and as you all know, the first rule of a gun fight, is having a gun. If you are half a mile and two floors up from your full-size locked in the glove box of your truck, it doesn't do you a damn bit of good.

I have put over 500 rounds through mine, a mix of HP, and FMJ, from the cheapest dirty ammo, to expensive PDX1 self defense ammo, without a single failure. And when people poke fun at it at the range, calling it a pea-shooter, the noisy cricket etc. I simply ask if they want to go hold my target for me. I haven't had any takers yet. ;)

The only qualm I have with the gun, is the sights, or lack there of. They are very minimalist, so they do not snag on clothing, but they are useless past about ten feet. The next thing I purchase for this gun will be the Crimson Trace.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
They are great. My Dad can barely keep them on the shelf. I'm still in the air between the LCP and S&W Bodygaurd 380.

I carry a SeeCamp daily.

·
572 Posts
When I was in the market for mine, I looked at the Kel-Tec. For only about a $50 difference, the Ruger just felt like a much better quality gun. The Kel-Tec feels and looks down-right cheap.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Give the Hornady Critical Defense rounds a run trough it, .380 will do it, Like Ray said better than nothing... I carry a subcompact glock .40 daily..

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Give the Hornady Critical Defense rounds a run trough it, .380 will do it, Like Ray said better than nothing... I carry a subcompact glock .40 daily..
I do love my 27 also. I picked up a 9mm conversion barrel for it. 9mm was so much more affordable there for a while it was sickening. I actually prefer the 9mm in it now.

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
The Ruger LCP is a great CCW especially during the summer time wearing shorts and a T-Shirt. They however get a little funky with dirty plinking cartridges, and need to be cleaned well with a good dry lube. I got my wife one to carry in her purse with the added Laser loaded with some nasty little Cor-Bon’s. She loves it just would rather it come on Pink LOL

I may send it in to get it done in Camo-Pink though: http://www.camo-solutions.com/camo-patterns/

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
The Ruger LCP is a great CCW especially during the summer time wearing shorts and a T-Shirt. They however get a little funky with dirty plinking cartridges, and need to be cleaned well with a good dry lube. I got my wife one to carry in her purse with the added Laser loaded with some nasty little Cor-Bon’s. She loves it just would rather it come on Pink LOL

I may send it in to get it done in Camo-Pink though: http://www.camo-solutions.com/camo-patterns/
They sell them in Pink. Okay, it's called raspberry but it pink to me. We have one at the store. I have to say "freeeece" in my best lisp every time I hold it.

·
528 Posts
Thats good to hear you guys like them. I carry a 40 S&W and like BigRed said I usually leave it in the truck because it gets heavy. I am thinking about getting one myself. I heard the Hornady was a nice round to use with it.

·
Mega-Member
584 Posts
My wife has the Ruger LCP with the laser. I really don't like shooting it, I think the trigger pull is too excessive. Now I haven't shot it in a while, but I could of sworn the pull was like 3/4 of an inch before you could start to feel tension on the trigger.

I CC a XD .40 sub compact, and I love it.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
I guess I need to post a pic of the carry assortment.

Para NightHawg 45. I have IWB and OWB/thumb break for this.

Glock 39 45GAP. IWB or ankle rig.

Glock 27 40S&W or 26 barrel for 9mm. IWB or ankle rig.

SeeCamp in the pocket. The laser is awesome.

S&W 637 with CTC grip in 38SPL+P. IWB or ankle rig.

Colt Diamondback in 38SPL. IWB or ankle rig.

1911s in OWB thumb break or jackass roughout cross draws in the winter.

I also have some compact, full-size and 6" Glocks I carry in cross draws or paddles in the winter but I usually avoid it since the paddles are so uncomfortable in regular clothes.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
How do you like the 45GAP?

And expand a little on that assortment of 1911's . . . what's what in there.

Nice collection.

prt
I love GAP. I wish it would have caught on. I have a 38 and 39 in GAP. Ballistics are the same as 45ACP but length is the same as 40S&W. Great idea! I am stocking up on ammo. Glock and Springfield are the only companies that have pistols that fire GAP. I discontinued business with Springfield so those are out.

1911?

Para NightHawg
Para 14-45 EOD OIF Commemorative. I worked on the design and they made us a great deal. I even got one for my Dad.
S&W Gunsite CO
Caspian/Toone my first 'smith piece made with Caspian XR and Wilson Match parts.
Springfield Loaded V-12
High Standard project
Colt S70 with a Barstow match barrel
Springfield Loaded Compact V-10

Most of my 1911s have upgraded barrels, polished ramps, C&S white adjustable triggers and Alumigrips. The Caspian I built is still a project. I have been fine tuning the trigger on it for a while now. It's just over a breath to fire now. The High Standard project has a Wilson comp and trigger work but I'm still trying to get my recoil spring weight corrected for the weight of the compensator.

·
572 Posts
My wife has the Ruger LCP with the laser. I really don't like shooting it, I think the trigger pull is too excessive. Now I haven't shot it in a while, but I could of sworn the pull was like 3/4 of an inch before you could start to feel tension on the trigger.

I CC a XD .40 sub compact, and I love it.
The reason for the long trigger pull, is because the gun is Double action only. Meaning, when the slide is pushed back by recoil, the hammer is only partially ****ed, and pulling the trigger, further ****s, and then releases the hammer. Exactly like a revolver. The reasoning for making it DA only, is because it has no external safeties.

·
3,306 Posts
I have a para .45 1911 Big Hawg which is a double stack and i actually have a pre banned 15 round mag for it. I love it cause it has an aluminum body. I'm actually having work on it now which involves the top rail being polished along with the other stainless accents on it. i also have a browning buckmark target .22. I actually looked at and had decided to get the ruger LCP .380....i could get it for $325, but i had changed my mind on another .380. After looking at the Sig Saur P239 equinox...i feel in love with it. So the Sig will be my next pistol to carry. Here's a pic of the Sig Equinox.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=210291076#PIC

1 - 20 of 32 Posts