The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a early 99 f250 with dp tuner,4" turbo back exhaust, and a DIY intake. Recently i have been experiencing erratic idling problems. pull up to a stop sign and the idle starts to go up and downand then i pulled into the parking lot at work and put the truck in park the idle jumped up to about 1400 rpms just for a second. Also sometimes the throttle feels less responsive when hitting it from a dead stop. Any ideas?

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Does it do this without the Chip? That would eliminate it being the DP or not. :thumbsup

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
how many miles? maybe an ipr valve or icp faid and running in limp mode

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
put it in the stock setting and runs a decent amount different. the idles doesnt get all crazy and the throttle response is there. the truck has almost 55k on it

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
call jody

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok ill try tomorrow. until then im just going to not use the chip. Also on my way home from Virginia last weekend i had the cruise control on and when i tried to turn it of it started to accelerate more even with the brake pressed. it was kind of sketchy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and lately it seems like when my truck does smoke when i get on it, its fairly light in color. almost white or grey.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When i drove to work this morning in the stock setting the truck ran great. got to the shop i work at put it in park and it started idling running. not as erratic as before but just up and down but not as fast as before. The truck has more power with the dp but is not nearly as smooth as when its in the stock settings. any input?

·
862 Posts
I scanned another truck just a few days ago with the same problem. The idle was erratic in any tune (he wasn't using DP-Tuner, but another programmer). There were no codes thrown, and it passed all tests (CCT, KOEO, KOER, Buzz, etc). After some live monitoring I noticed that ICP pressures and duty cycles were extremely erratic, and got worse as the idle quality changed. This also happened as he was driving down the road.

I'm still waiting to hear the final verdict, but last I heard he found a loose connection on the back of the IPR. The tin nut came loose, and something like that can cause those exact problems.

Mainly, if I were you I would check the IPR and the ICP sensor first.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
KOEO, Key on engine off
KOER, key on engine running
Buzz - its click tests the injectors with a diagnostic tool.

never hear cct

·
862 Posts
CCT = Cylinder Contribution Test

IPR = Injection Pressure Regulator, it's located on the back of the high pressure oil pump, the pump sits in the engine valley below the fuel filter bowl.

ICP = Injection Control Pressure, it's a sensor mounted on the driver's side oil rail, just behind the alternator. It monitors the high oil pressure at the rails and reports to the PCM.

Bill gotcha with the other ones.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
CCT = Cylinder Contribution Test

IPR = Injection Pressure Regulator, it's located on the back of the high pressure oil pump, the pump sits in the engine valley below the fuel filter bowl.

ICP = Injection Control Pressure, it's a sensor mounted on the driver's side oil rail, just behind the alternator. It monitors the high oil pressure at the rails and reports to the PCM.

Bill gotcha with the other ones.
Thanks i didnt see the other two, i just browsed over to fast. Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for info guys.

Pocket let me know what you find out on that other truck you were talking about.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man this truck is killing me. I tried to accelerate away from a stop light this morning and i had to push the pedal down about 1/3 of the way before i got any repsonse out of the motor. and then i pulled into the parking lot put it in park and it started idling all crazy again. and this time it was in the stock setting.

·
862 Posts
Man this truck is killing me. I tried to accelerate away from a stop light this morning and i had to push the pedal down about 1/3 of the way before i got any repsonse out of the motor. and then i pulled into the parking lot put it in park and it started idling all crazy again. and this time it was in the stock setting.
If you don't have a scan tool, you can still try a few things.

First, unplug the electrical connector on the ICP sensor. Then start the truck up and see if it runs/idles smooth. If it does, then you have a bad ICP sensor. If you don't see a difference, then it's probably the IPR causing the problem. You can look on the back of the IPR and see if that tin nut has come loose. You can see it without taking anything off if you use a mirror.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
when you say scan tool, your referring to a obdII scanner or osmehting else? i could go to a autp parts stroe and use their scanner of need be

·
862 Posts
when you say scan tool, your referring to a obdII scanner or osmehting else? i could go to a autp parts stroe and use their scanner of need be
No I mean a full diagnostic scanner like AE, something that can run tests, not just look for codes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ohh no i dont have access to a scanner like that. by the way does it make sense that it only runs like this when the truck is warm. i just went out to start it up now and it seems to run normal when its cold

1 - 20 of 29 Posts