The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:splat I have a 2003 powerstroke with the XCAL2 and I am having a problem where the truck seems to be running out of fuel or something if I floor it in 1st thru 3rd gears. It dumps out black smoke and absolutely does not want to run. I have now put the truck back to the stock tune to see what happens and Ill keep you posted.I have no idea of what this could be so any help will be greatly appreciated. Does anyone have a cure or diagnosis for this problem? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Well fuel use is lower in lower gears, so if it WERE running low on fuel pressure you would see that at highway speeds under a hard pull far more than in lower gears.

The description is consistant with a stuck turbo, but other things can cause this like bad sensors.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
The fact that you have lots of black smoke means you got more fuel then the turbo can keep up with..so it is either a laggy turbo (sticky vains) or a bad sensor as John G mentioned...my 2 cents...
jschall

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
If your blowing black low fuel is not the problem. I agree with them, sounds like a air problem, start at the air filter and work your way through the system. Do you have a boost gauge? tell us what the boost is when blowing black. If you have no power and no smoke it could be fuel, but you got smoke so you got fuel.

LargeCar:usflag :mafia :usflag

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah i agree with them because i was told by many people that the black smoke is unburnt fuel. So if you have black smoke than you do have the fuel you need. The turbo is not diong its job though.

·
2,691 Posts
jschall said:
The fact that you have lots of black smoke means you got more fuel then the turbo can keep up with..so it is either a laggy turbo (sticky vains) or a bad sensor as John G mentioned...my 2 cents...
jschall

:whs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it must be the turbo, but what I dont understand is that it seems to be worst after I refuel. I am just going to drive it for a while and see if it straightens out. If not, I will pull the turbo off, clean the veins and check for shaft play. What type of sensor could cause this and not show any trouble codes or a check engine light? Thanks to all.:shrug:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I can unplug the egr sensor and vgt sensor on my truck and not get a cel....but they do throw codes...the EBP(Exhaust backpressure) sensor would be the one I would think especially if you have any bucking or surging with the black smoke...Do you have a boost gauge?
jschall

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a temporary boost gauge I can hook up and see whats going on. I tried to pull codes with the xcal2 and there are none. Where is the EBP located?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Driver's side of the engine there is a tube that comes off the exhaust manifold and points up...on the upside end of the tube there is a sensor with a conector and corisponding wires attached....
jschall

1 - 10 of 10 Posts