The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im installing the spartan tune/pipe tonight and I ran into trouble with the last sensor on the exhaust. Is it possible to run the truck momentarily with just two of the sensors. The third is still stuck in the stock pipe and will not come up despite pb blaster, torch, and a fancy wrench later. The bolt just rounds off. I need the truck to get me to work and a sensor is not availible at dealerships right away
thanks in advance

·
Registered
339 Posts
im installing the spartan tune/pipe tonight and I ran into trouble with the last sensor on the exhaust. Is it possible to run the truck momentarily with just two of the sensors. The third is still stuck in the stock pipe and will not come up despite pb blaster, torch, and a fancy wrench later. The bolt just rounds off. I need the truck to get me to work and a sensor is not availible at dealerships right away
thanks in advance
You have to have all of the sensors in the wiring harness. It might run for a minute but will eventually die and leave you stranded. Soak with pb blaster and get a good pair of vice grips on it and shock it with your palm. It should come out eventually, hopefully it was not damaged by the torch.

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've PB Blasted it for about 24 hours now, tried the torch and everything. The only thing left we can think of is to torch it more, blast it, then wait and repeat a few more times to try getting the blaster down in it further. We have the oxygen sensor wrench going at it and all, I suppose after we torch it a couple times we will keep tapping the wrench with a hammer to hopefully break it loose.
Any other suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
339 Posts
We've PB Blasted it for about 24 hours now, tried the torch and everything. The only thing left we can think of is to torch it more, blast it, then wait and repeat a few more times to try getting the blaster down in it further. We have the oxygen sensor wrench going at it and all, I suppose after we torch it a couple times we will keep tapping the wrench with a hammer to hopefully break it loose.
Any other suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance.
Putting a torch to the EGT sensor can damage it and even if you get it out the truck can go into limp mode. Then comes the "please pull over safely". :bang

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to a different Ford dealer today to stay under the radar to pick up another sensor in case this happened. The closest part was almost 2 hrs away. They sent me onto the floor to talk with a tech and he suggested a flare wrench with a torch if she wouldn't budge. He said as long as we torch down low by the housing and the weld to the pipe we were good, the sensor is cold to the touch. So if we get it she's salvagable ( I hope). If we can't get it I'll be in the truck early to pick up the sensor. The tech said he doesn't know why but that certain sensor is the only one that sometimes is hard to get. Oh so close...yet so far away!

·
1,077 Posts
Just buy a new sensor. Or strap the pipe to the truck and plug the sensor in. It will run but make sure you clear the code before you shut the truck off.

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably gonna go the new sensor route, but for a newbie, how do you clear a code in the event that I throw one?

·
142 Posts
You can clear it after you scan for DTC codes if you have the dashdaq

1 - 9 of 9 Posts