The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if any one runs a big tuner on a truck with high miles ... what is breaking in on a diesel and whats high miles/ life expt.on a diesel/ duramax :chevy

·
1,705 Posts
I ran mine up hot most of the time till 154K when the motor went and I still run it hot some with the newer motor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
motor went huh not what i want for sure lol what went and did you figure out why if you dont mind me asking

·
1,705 Posts
Apparently I cracked the block in 5 places :eek:wned .I blew a coolant line and overheated it first off. I also had it tuned with EFI and was pushing around 450-500rwhp and towed up to 32K LBS for about 15K-20K miles before relizing I shouldn't :sofa .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OOPs how hot is to hot on a diesel ? kinda feel stupid askin but what the hell im new lol :shrug:

·
1,409 Posts
josh2888 said:
OOPs how hot is to hot on a diesel ? kinda feel stupid askin but what the hell im new lol :shrug:
I always try to keep my egt's under 1200, I've seen 1400 once after racing a duck 695 for about 7 miles. As far as engine temp goes around town it struggles to stay above 185, on the hiway @ 80 mph it sits right around 205. All of this is with the ppe big tune empty. If I haul anything I go to level 3.

I have 88k on the clock and have had my upgrades for about 20k, most of the time running level 10. Only issues so far are the water pump and the transfer case. And the a/c, gotta fix that.

·
3,939 Posts
I saw ~1700* at the end of the track when I was racing last year. Yes, I about crapped my pants.

Running high EGTs for a couple seconds shouldn't hurt anything, but as a general rule of thumb, you shouldn't stay above ~1300 or so.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
I have yet to see higher than 800 on my truck, and that was with towing a flatbed trailer and F350 SRW CC/LB PSD on top of that with quad. Nasty Girl knows all about that day.

Tony

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any one have pics of a lift pump install i want to run ppe but have no idea how to do this pump install pic or info would help alot do i have to run a return line off the tank ?

·
33 Posts
My cozin has a 02 lb7 and he pegs a 1600 degree egt gauge all day long and does it for extended periods of time and how its doing it the motor is still together.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
must have a golden horse shoved up his caboose, theres no way he runs 1600 all day long, turbo would have melted a long time ago, so would have the pistons

·
34 Posts
i have seen 1800 on mine this past summer got a lil worried after that but still together. i see 1400 alot but not for long i guess thats what happens when you run alot of fuel. and got 126,000 on her.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
gf's dad had his over 1600 this summer, but only for about 25-30 seconds and it came back down to 1100-1200 pulling a 26' camper, he just about chit a brick when i told him!! LOL 1600 all day long is NOT possible without burning up something....

·
157 Posts
If your measuring after the turbo ( IE: the down pipe ) like alot of people not fimiliar with them do install them, and you are reaching 1600 - 1800.. Better just plan on getting a new turbo on the way and hope that your pistons dont melt like your turbo has started to !!!

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
1600 even in the exhaust manifold is just way too high!!!!!!

·
34 Posts
1600 even in the exhaust manifold is just way too high!!!!!!
yea 1600 is a lil bit to hot there is just no way at all you can run 1600 all day long. i pulled my truck with no gauges and i would hate to see what the temp was on that. i watched the movie after and almost cryed it. the site is www.whitesulphurgarage.com if you want to check it out. my dyno run is on there too.

·
63 Posts
I run that stupid Edge juice, and the highest Ive seen was 1325ish on level 5 going up a steep grade at about 100 empty, and I got 115k with no problems so far

1 - 20 of 24 Posts