The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 is getting to where its alil hard to start. Once it starts you can drive it down the road for about 10min and then it just dies like you turn the key off. I've changed all the filters, CPS, and the glow plug relay. Still with same issues. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks

·
391 Posts
Does it just all of the sudden die, or does it start running rough and then die? Have you been able to check any codes? Does the check engine light come on? Will it immediately restart?

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will not throw a code. Check engine light does not stay on. And it just shuts off as if u turned the key off. Takes 45min to hr b4 it will restart.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Will not throw a code. Check engine light does not stay on. And it just shuts off as if u turned the key off. Takes 45min to hr b4 it will restart.
If it does this consistently get a can of "Freeze It" from an electronics parts store and when it quits, spray a certain area of an electric component starting with the PCM to see if cooling it down does anything. Something electronic in nature is heating up and faulting. Crankshaft position, and cam position sensors do this seemingly constantly before totally crapping out leaving you stranded and at the mercy of the tow man.

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've already replaced the CPS. And I'll give that "freeze it" a try. Thanks

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
I've already replaced the CPS. And I'll give that "freeze it" a try. Thanks
Was the crank sensor replaced for this same fault scenario or something else? If the same, is the run time before failure the same as it was without change? I've seen far too many hall effect sensors bad out of the box I question each and every one. Also, they need adjusted correctly if there is a depth adjustment for them.

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry for the delayed reply. Work has been pretty crazy round here. The CPS was changed for the recall a few years back. And this is the first time since then it has been replaces. I'm going to look into it a little more when I get back home in Feb. Thanks for all your help.

·
5 Posts
Hi black cloud

I believe you are having a problem with your ipr it's a common problem for them to work cold and not want to restart hot the other thing you may want to look at while replacing the ipr is the connector the wires get oil and other stuff on them abd swell up and will leave bare wires that can short intermittant land cause this also look at your icp unplug it make sure u don't have oil comming up thru the center of the sensor if so replace sensor and connector good luck and also have had problems with the adrenalin hpop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts