The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will this turbo(H2E) bolt on to my stock exhaust manifold? I have really high egts and was told to get an hx40 exhaust hosing but dont know what i have to do to switch it all around. Which would be better?

·
3,514 Posts
a larger exhaust housing will help cool egt's a little, but will cost you a little spool up. You really need more air. It doesn't sound like you have that much fuel, a 35/40 hybrid might work well.

As for the H2e, you don't want to run that. I have one sitting here, it will be way too laggy to use if you want to drive on the street at all. Even with lots of fuel, its kind of a pig as far as single chargers go. Anyways, with all that said, it won't bolt up to your stock manifold anyways, it has a t4 flange and stock is a t3. You need a manifold with the proper flange, or a bigfoot adapter.
Sean

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Thats a really big turbo for the fuel you've got according to your signature. I don't think you'll be able to spool it w/o a **** load of nitrous.

How bad are your egts exactly? You might be able to get away w/ an HX 40/35 hybrid. It'll have the hx40's compressor wheel on the 35 so you can you your stock downpipe and its a drop in. HTT A 60/16 should give you enough air for 425hp.

If you need more I recommend looking into an s300 (like bd's super single) or variant like htt's or industrial injections phatshaft series. They do require a 4" downpipe though.

If you really want to run an h2e then you'll need a new downpipe possibly and exhaust adapter and maybe a new intake pipe.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Beat me to it LOL

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot, I haven't had my truck that long, i'm learning though. You guys have saved me alot of money so far. Look at these 2 item #'s from ebay and let me know what you think. 140177384566, 3201181937706. As far as the down pipe goes i'm getting a bigger one, what did the hx40 come on, maybe i can get one from a junk yard. How do i put together a hybred and what parts do i need?

·
3,514 Posts
Its not so much the bigger size exhaust that you need, its the flange that attaches it to the turbo. Our stock one is a bolt on and the Hx40 uses a v-band, as do many others, and there are different size v-band flanges as well.
That housing might not be too bad. I couldn't get the second one to come up though.

Htt makes upgrades for your stock turbo to put the larger compressor wheel on it and housing to flow more air.
Sean

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Yeah the second one didn't work for me either :shrug:

Is that housing really a 14cm because in the description its says, and I quote "12cm holset turbo exhaust housing off of 1996 dodge"

The hx40 didn't come on any dodge trucks that I'm aware of so chances of finding one in a junkyard are slim.

Click here for what you need to make a hybrid. No downpipe required. Using a stock 12cm exhaust housing you should be able to make a reliable 400hp w/ it.

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
I though the H2e was a little laggy as a single.. LOL

·
400 Posts
How would an HX40 work with what i've got? I'm planning on buying a friends used smarty in a week or so. Also the turbo i found has just been rebuilt and he is asking $350.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
It might work good, but I wouldn't do it. The hx40's are weak and have a bad reputation for snapping shafts. It would be about the right size but w/o a blow-off valve I personally wouldn't run it. But thats just my :2cents

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What would you suggest? I really don't want to spend the money for a new turbo.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Well I don't either but you get what you pay for so I'm saving for a s300 variant. The hx40 will work for you. I was just saying that I'd rather spend the money then have a turbo come apart on me and then have to by a new one anyways :shrug:

Talk to sean, he knows turbos better then me

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know I'm the same way, it's not that I don't have the money or don't want to spend it but, the wife just doesn't understand. "Its a truck its not supposed to be able to go fast" The "better mileage" thing I was able to get a chip and nozzles from but, it's going to be hard to talk her into that one. Although everything I sell on ebay I'm allowed to use the money for parts on my truck.LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts