The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally the SAE has been able to get agreement from OEMs on a new set of standard tests to establish TRUE tow ratings on vehicles sold in the USA.

The new standard, SAE J2807 will go into effect for the 2013 model year with an option to comply before.

This is HUGE for those of us who tow regularly with cars, vans and trucks because being "rated" for a certain weight to most people means you won't do damage or be unsafe when properly equipped. That is not true currently.

Link: http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0912_sae_tow_ratings_finally_pass_sniff_test/index.html

Reactions: nevrenufhp

·
dagon dagon!
179 Posts
now if only cdls were required for rvs and trailers over say 30 feet and such in all 50 states. last week an rv on the freeway almost turned me into a road pizza

·
3,533 Posts
I live a mile from a good size hill with a 30 Kilometer corner, in the middle and the speed slows from 100 kilometers 60 MPH to 50 MPH, to 60 Kilometers 40MPH. At the bottom. I regularly get the smell of burnt brakes. From pickups with trailers, to motor homes, They have no idea how to drive down hill and practice snub braking. Having a realistic set of specifications for vehicles is a great idea, teaching people how to drive is another.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts