The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 06 cummins with a bully dog pmt. i am pulling up to 32 psi and have my post turbo egt defuels set at 1050. do these sound safe or should i defuel at lower levels? the egt would hit 1250 on the extreme setting before i lowered the defuel.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
That sounds like a good place. Much more psi and your out of the turbo map, and you may actually start to loose power.

Post turbo EGTs may be up to 500* lower than pre in extreme situations. You don't want to go over 1250* pre-turbo for extended periods of time. So I'd consider 1050 fine. But I recommend moving that probe, its really easy to do.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
wilberc said:
i have an 06 cummins with a bully dog pmt. i am pulling up to 32 psi and have my post turbo egt defuels set at 1050. do these sound safe or should i defuel at lower levels? the egt would hit 1250 on the extreme setting before i lowered the defuel.
Using the maximum number from a 2nd Gen 24V...

MAX BOOST 35 PSI
MAX EGT 1,200*F

I've hit 1,350-1,400*F a few times quickly but only for a few seconds... :wow

Remember aluminum pistons (without cooling oil) will melt at about 1,220*F
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium

·
3,514 Posts
that 1200*F is a good standard, but that is also a pre turbo measurement. After the turbo you will lose a bit of heat and honestly I'm not really sure how much. I'd like to run both and see what the difference is, but don't really feel like buying another pyro right now. Those do sound like safe levels though.
Sean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i actually just installed a second pyro and my egts were 1250 pre and 920 post. i am hitting these pretty easy, going up a pretty good incline and floored but the ouside temp is only 35 degrees. these egts were taken on only the tow setting. what is this gonna do when its loaded and 100 degrees outside? i also plan on putting on an MBRP muffler which should lower the egts more through the 4 inch pipe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts